LTC switchercad/ Tina-ti

swappo

Joined Apr 18, 2008
I have downloaded and used both LTC switchercad and Tina-ti. I am still trying to decide which one I like better, but so far I seem to like Tina better. I am having trouble with finding additional symbols for both programs.

For switchercad I want to add transistor 2N2222 to my schematic but I don't have that specific transistor in the library. It just has a generic transistor. Tina seems to have this specific transistor along with tons of other specific symbols. How can I get the symbols (library) from Tina downloaded into switchercad? How do I add additional libraries from other sites to switchercad? The documentation for both programs seems lacking and I am not at all familiar with CAD software.

While designing a schematic in Tina, I needed a polarized capacitor (electrolytic) but could not find one in the library other than non polarized. How can I add polarized caps to Tina's library? I seem to have to keep jumping between programs everytime I run into a snag. I would eventually like to use just one when I get one of them figured out. Thanks for any help. :):):)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
In LTSpice/SwitcherCad III, first place your npn transistor. Then right-click on it, and click the "pick new transistor" button. Believe it or not, 2N2222 is in there. You can click on the column headings to re-sort the list.

LTSpice/SwitcherCad is a pretty decent program - but I find the lack of digital CMOS/TTL IC's somewhat crippling. There are a few rudimentary gates, but you can't do much with them. It would take quite a while to build a really useable library, and I just don't have that kind of time.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You can used the non-polarized capacitors in Tina.

Other than the symbol, what is your special requirement for a polarized capacitor?

swappo

Joined Apr 18, 2008
Joe,

I guess there is no special requirements provided they do the same thing. Now that I think about it though, the symbol would be the only difference. Except if I were to download the schematic to a PCB program which would have to orient the cap with the (-) to ground. I am so used to seeing polarized and non polarized capacitors in schematics that I never thought about it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
In LTSpice/SwitcherCad III, first place your npn transistor. Then right-click on it, and click the "pick new transistor" button. Believe it or not, 2N2222 is in there. You can click on the column headings to re-sort the list.

LTSpice/SwitcherCad is a pretty decent program - but I find the lack of digital CMOS/TTL IC's somewhat crippling. There are a few rudimentary gates, but you can't do much with them. It would take quite a while to build a really useable library, and I just don't have that kind of time.
Sarge, if you are not a member of the Yahoo LTspice group, you should join it. They have libraries of models for 74xx, 74HCxx, CD4000 series, and many, many more parts. After you join, click on "Files" on the left side of the page.