lowering the output voltage

nel1

Joined Sep 20, 2010
Hi to everyone
i am an electrician from Goa India where my input voltage is 237-256volt rms and i am planning to buy a LG LED LCD tv which operates from 100-240volt with 78watt and a STB of DTH is also of the same rating but is only 15 watt now i have a stabilizer which brings down the above voltage to 216-238 volt.
Now my question to all is that if this two load are combined together it will be around 95 watt and if i connect a 100 watt fan regulator in series with this load and step down the voltage to around 150volt will the STB and TV work and secondly will this equipment be safe for minor spikes as both the equipments are working on 24 volt.
do let me know about this.
thanks.
nelson

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U don't need a stabilizer for an autovolt TV.
Ur TV can operate from 75VAC to 260VAC without a problem.
Do not connect anything in series with the tv, the supply in it is a SMPS.
It can withstand the voltage as long as it does not go beyond 260VAC, and it has spike suppression built in.

A stabilizer is used in appliances which are sensitive to power fluctuations.
A TV is not.

A 78W TV will not use power above that in any condition.

nel1

Joined Sep 20, 2010
Thanks very much for the information
But then my voltage is just 256 volt at day time and the LG LE265300 LED LCD TV is said to be working from 100-240v so are you sure about working it on 256 volt secondly you said it has built in protection of spike suppressors and SMPS so i was thinking to give good protection for the inside PCB SMPS and spike suppressor by bringing down the voltage and giving outside spike protection so that it does not damage the internal parts and thus send the tv for repair which will be more expensive then the outside protection unit.

i am little worried as my friends sumsung LCD tv SMPS unit got burnt within one month of it purchase and the company had to replace the full card and the engineer asked him to install a stabilizer.
pl. let me know what is your say.
thanks
nelson

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
If this the case. Then ur power are spiking well over it's threshold value.
Adjust the stabilizer to 220V out put. This will keep ur TV protected. Ur stabilizer must supply excess of 80W if you are to connect the TV.
If you planning to connect any more devices, then the stabilizer should be rated more than the total load power.

if Nominal mains voltage at day time is 256VAC, u say. This rather a high value. If nominal is at 240VAC then u would not need to worry. Ur value is unthinkable. At off loads it will spike over 260VAC.

Better connect the stabilizer.
The 15W u are talkin abt is the stby power consumption. Nothing to be too concerned abt.

BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY ;)

Last edited:

nel1

Joined Sep 20, 2010
that is why in addition to the stabiliz voltage of 220-230vac i was thinking to connect a 100 watt capacity fan regulator to futher bring down the voltage to 130-150vac this is what i wanted to know wheather it will work or damage the tv
thanks
nelson