Lower Voltage??

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Directlinq, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Directlinq

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    I have an 240volt ac to dc power supply that gives me 15volts 10amps dc output. What could i use and how to lower this voltage down to 12volts 10amps dc? I would like to do this from the output as i dont want to open the power supply as it will invalidate my warranty.

I know this is probably easy for you guys but i have been searching for over 12 hours now and can only find circuits that handle ma not amps.

Many Thanks in advance
  2. lightingman

Apr 19, 2007
    Hi..It can be done, but will need some large devices on heatsinks....I wil post a few ideas for you tomorrow....Daniel.
  3. Directlinq

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Thanks I look forward to your reply
  4. mozikluv

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 22, 2004
    what i can think as of now is the adjustable LT1083CP capable of handling a max of 7.5A of Linear Tech or the MIC29752BWT of Fairchild. however if you really need more than 7.5A, you can do a parallel circuit for that.

5. John Luciani

Apr 3, 2007
    You want to look for DC-DC converters or switching regulators. Checkout On-Semi,
    Linear Technology and National Semiconductor. If you try to do step down from
    15V to 12V at 10A with a linear regulator you will need to dissipate 30W which
    is 20% of your output power.

Also check to see if your power supply has a trim pin. Some supplies can be adjusted

(* jcl *)