Low voltage dual Pentode audio amp ?

Bigbill

Joined Aug 27, 2010
Hi all,

Have a couple of EF183 Pentode amp valves and so far have managed to hook one up to the output of my regen radio, but the volume is very low due to only running 12volts on the anode. I wondered if anyone has a sugestion on how I can connect the other EF183 and therefore end up with a 2 pentode audio amp operating in space charge mode that might give enough otput to drive a pair of headphones with good volume via the output transformer .
I have a diagram of what I've done so far but not sure how to upload it to the forum.

Thank you,

Big Bill

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You can use the "manage attachments" button to upload images:

Attachments and Images

How do I attach a file to a post?
To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.
What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.
How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Bertus

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you only have 12v available, you need to build something like a flyback converter to give the anode a voltage within it's normal operating range.

Ronald Dekker made a great DIY'er page on boost and flyback converters, here:
http://www.dos4ever.com/flyback/flyback.html

The circuits shown certainly aren't the most efficient, but they're great as learning tools.

daviddeakin

Joined Aug 6, 2009
When operating pentodes at low voltages you need to abandon some of the traditional design methods.

You will need a large anode resistor (traditional starved designs used anything up to 5Meg!).

You also need to be aware of grid current, which will bias the valve very cold if you have a conventional grid leak resistor. A neat way to get around this is to connect you grid leak to the 12V supply, rather than to ground/cathode! Playing with the value, you should be able to get some useful gain.

Also, play with the screen voltage, as the gm of pentodes varies wildly at low screen voltages there will usually be a 'sweet spot'.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

On the page I posted there is this for using ordinary tubes on low voltages:

Low-Voltage Operation With Ordinary Tubes

Keep in mind that a lot of "ordinary" high-voltage tubes can be used very effectively with DC voltages as low as 3V on the plates.
Some of these tubes can be operated in "space-charge" mode with the first grid used as an electron accelerator, but that's not entirely necessary.
I cite some circuits below with ordinary triodes operating at very low voltages.
The problem with tubes generally is that taking power out of a tube circuit requires operating at a high voltage.
If you don't need significant output power (say, for a loudspeaker) and can settle for very low values of plate current, you can use plate voltage values under 20V, and often less than 10V.
When building radio receivers, this generally requires using high-impedence headphones for audio output, where "high-impedence" means 600 ohms or more at audio, the higher the better.
Such headsets are getting increasingly hard to find; Antique Electronic Supply used to sell them, but do not show them in the 2007-2008 catalog.
I do see them regularly on eBay.
Crystal earphones can be used, with one gotcha: They do not pass DC.
In many older circuits, the plate voltage passes through the headphones, which requires a dynamic headset (that is, one with wire-wound transducers) rather than a crystal transducer.
For an example, scroll down to the schematic for KB7NRN's 18V radio.
A crystal earphone will not work in this circuit, nor any circuit that passes B+ through the headset.

Many of the circuits you'll find in books and magazines specify 45V, 67.5V, or 90V batteries, which can be had but are expensive.
A lot of those circuits will work just fine on much lower voltage.
For example, I built the 3V4 BCB receiver from Harry Zarchy's kid-hobby book Using Electronics, and the circuit has a 100K resistor in series with the regen control pot.
The resistor was necessary because the specified 45V battery supply was too high. Without the resistor, the receiver oscillated at 45V irrespective of the setting of the regen pot—and worked perfectly at 9V.
I use a beat-up "hamfest special" adjustable lab supply for simple tube radio work, and I can spin a knob to vary the voltage between 0 and 50V.
When I have a circuit on the bench spec-ed for 45V B+, I set the supply at 45V, make sure the circuit works, and then start dialing down the voltage to see what happens.
Most of the time, increasing the amount of regeneration on the throttle control will compensate for the reduction in voltage.
Sometimes (as with Zarchy's circuit) you have to tweak component values a litttle to get down under 10V B+, but with decent headphones and a good antenna you will get signals.
The art lies in tweaking things to get the most signal at the least voltage.
Bertus