Low Q Matching Network Design

harvester

Joined Mar 12, 2014
Good day! I am currently designing a matching network with source resistance of 50 ohms and load resistance of 3600 ohms. I am planning to use the Low-Q Matching Network design, where L networks are connected or cascaded, to increase the bandwidth of the network. My question is, is there a limit on how many L matching networks I can connect? What are the drawbacks of having too many L networks in the design?

harvester

Joined Mar 12, 2014
Thanks, I use that also.

I am designing at 2.4GHz. There is no specific value yet for the bandwidth, but I want it to be as wide as possible. So, is there a limit on how many L networks I can connect? And what are the trade offs of having too many cascaded L networks. Thank you.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
when you cascade l networks, they interact, and ou have to compensate for that. also loss increases with number of networks. badwidth is going to be a necessity to calculate the filter.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the reactance of one l network will be connected to the next, and so forth. there isnt a way to isolate the reactance of one from another. compensation if for connecting one to another l network, you cant use the values for one l when you have two or more connected.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thanks, I use that also.

I am designing at 2.4GHz. There is no specific value yet for the bandwidth, but I want it to be as wide as possible. So, is there a limit on how many L networks I can connect? And what are the trade offs of having too many cascaded L networks. Thank you.
In this frequency range lumped component values may unsuitable. Are you familiar with microstripline design?

#1 Google hit
http://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Microstrip_Stripline_CPW_Design/Microstrip_Stripline_and_CPW_Design.pdf

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If you use many sections in your filter, you might find that you need to add shielding between sections, and of course, the more stages, the greater the power losses.

As per PappaBravo, you will probbaly find transmission line matching techniques much easier to successfully deal with.