low noise audio amp

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by alec, Jan 10, 2009.

1. alec

Thread Starter Member

Jan 3, 2009
    hi there,

does anyone have an idea for a low noise audio amplifier with an output of about 1watt using opamps. the output will be connected to a pair of headphones and the input to a microcontroller..

ANY ideas would be appreciated!! :D

A

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
  3. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Opamps are not power amplifiers. A few opamps can drive 600 ohms headphones (at a power of only 60mW) but cannot drive 32 ohms headphones.

You can add transistors to the output of an opamp to make a little power amplifier to drive low impedance headphones.

1W into headphones will blow your head off! And you will be deafened.

4. alec

Thread Starter Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Thanks!! I understand that 1W into headphones is toooo much... Will the transistors (darlington pair) on the output of the opamp be sufficient for an amp similar to a class d amp? I read that class d amps are good amps, but what is the difference between classes and what would you suggest for an audio amp? I read that different configurations are categorised in different classes and that noise also has an influence on the class the amp is categorised in.. :confused:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  6. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009
  7. alec

Thread Starter Member

Jan 3, 2009
    any circuit able to to give an output of more or less 100mW would be perfect, as long as it has a gain of about 100 - 200 and almost non existing noise...

Thanks!!

8. alec

Thread Starter Member

Jan 3, 2009
    thanks for the circuits!! these really helped a lot!!!

regards