low noise audio amp

alec

Joined Jan 3, 2009
hi there,

does anyone have an idea for a low noise audio amplifier with an output of about 1watt using opamps. the output will be connected to a pair of headphones and the input to a microcontroller..

ANY ideas would be appreciated!! :D

A

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Opamps are not power amplifiers. A few opamps can drive 600 ohms headphones (at a power of only 60mW) but cannot drive 32 ohms headphones.

You can add transistors to the output of an opamp to make a little power amplifier to drive low impedance headphones.

1W into headphones will blow your head off! And you will be deafened.

alec

Joined Jan 3, 2009
Thanks!! I understand that 1W into headphones is toooo much... Will the transistors (darlington pair) on the output of the opamp be sufficient for an amp similar to a class d amp? I read that class d amps are good amps, but what is the difference between classes and what would you suggest for an audio amp? I read that different configurations are categorised in different classes and that noise also has an influence on the class the amp is categorised in.. :confused:

Last edited:

alec

Joined Jan 3, 2009
any circuit able to to give an output of more or less 100mW would be perfect, as long as it has a gain of about 100 - 200 and almost non existing noise...

Thanks!!