low level laser driver

if i remember right you can make a circuit using a lm 317, a couple resistors, a cap or two, a power source of some sort that will be driving the laser diode circuit, i may be leaving a thing or two but for the most part depending on how technical you are wanting to get with it i think that's about all you need to build a circuit to drive the laser diode w/o burning it out.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I was wondering whether it is a big job to make a driver for a 200mw laser diode?
It does not have to be a big job. You need a constant current power supply capable of reaching about 9V (I think, but the max voltage may depend on the specifications of your laser). If you look for that search term, you'll find many circuits based on the LM317 IC.

If you need great precision or accuracy, the project can become more complex but if you just want to light it up, it's definitely a DIY project.

Safety first. Pay attention to the warnings and the handling advice.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I got curious and read up on the safety aspects of a laser this powerful, and I now believe this thread should be considered for closing due to the risks to the OP.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have also read up on the safety aspects of lasers and am not going forward with using one. Thanks
Wise choice - thanks for sharing it. So often we see posters here leave in a huff because we suggested they might be endangering themselves. Since we never hear from them again, it makes one wonder how things turned out. :(

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
for me it was not so much for myself, what if a child picked it up or a friend and started playing with it. What's an OP?