low frequency buzzer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bazzakeen, May 12, 2015.

1. bazzakeen

Thread Starter New Member

May 11, 2015
    I am new to electronics, and would like to make a low frequency buzzer.
    is it possible to wire a capacitor in series with a resister to produce a pulse that would drive a piezo,
    would this work? if its feasible, any advice about values would be much appreciated,

Bazza

2. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    What do you do for the piezo?

3. bazzakeen

May 11, 2015
    Think its a piezo, taken from a personal alarm, cant see any internal components but when power supplied it makes a horrendous squeal,
    can't see any identífication numbers or marks on it.

4. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    You can produce a pulse with those components, but how is that useful in making a buzzer?

5. bazzakeen

May 11, 2015
    thought maybe I could drive a buzzer as previously described with a pulse, so to be able to adjust frequency.
    guess your telling me it wouldn't work.

Bazza

6. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    Clearly this sounder is not just a piezo element, it must have a built-in oscillator with a fixed frequency. It probably isn't practical or even possible to change that frequency so the best solution, if you need a low-frequency buzzer, is to buy a low-frequency buzzer.

7. bazzakeen

May 11, 2015
    Thanks for your time and expertise, it was just a thought,

Bazza

8. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    If you really want to make a buzzer, you will need to build an oscillator. Probably the most common approach is to use a 555 timer chip in astable mode, the 555 can deliver enough current to drive a low impedance loudspeaker directly.

9. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    You can buy piezo buzzers in at least a few frequencies; just supply power...

Like this one: http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_1956741_-1
    Though I no longer buy parts from Jameco, I still use them for information...