low esr capacitors

johnkaz77

Joined Sep 20, 2010
Hi,i am using TPS76918 voltage regulator and i noticed that it requires low esr capacitors at the output.What does it mean and what kind of capacitors i have to use?With what specifications?

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
There's no real "standard" regarding what can be called low ESR, all you can do is believe what they claim.

They're probably trying to keep you away from just putting a 0.1 uF or something on the output.

I notice they recommend a 4.7 uF with a maximum ESR or 0.2 ohms. Those shouldn't be hard to find, or you can just use a slightly larger cap to meet the ESR requirements.

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Just about anything you buy new. ;)

Tantalum caps and even ceramic caps are low-esr.

Electrolytic caps have the highest esr that I know of, and you can find special marked "LOW-ESR" electrolytic caps.

If you are using the caps for decoupling and/or to prevent oscillation, ceramic will be just fine.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Sometimes low ESR capacitors are called low impedence.

If you are using ceramic capacitors, the ESR for ceramic caps is usually so small it can be neglected. If you are using electrolytic capacitors, it is important.

The line is blurred between low ESR and normal caps - there is no definite point at which a capacitor is low ESR or not.

A low ESR capacitor basically means the capacitor has low equivalent series resistance. Think of a parasitic resistor in series with the cap. If you try and draw current from the capacitor, this resistor produces heat. It also increases ripple voltage.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You can also put a ceramic (say 0.1 uF) in parallel with an electrolytic of 4.7 uF to have a similar effect as a low esr capacitor of 4.7 uF. A lot of datasheets will show multiple capacitors in parallel instead of a single larger one.

John

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
I notice they recommend a 4.7 uF with a maximum ESR or 0.2 ohms. Those shouldn't be hard to find, or you can just use a slightly larger cap to meet the ESR requirements.
They recommend a minimum ESR of 0.2 ohms, and a maximum of 10 ohms.

This is typical of low dropout regulators--the ESR can't be too low.