low dropout regulators

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by kaning, Jun 8, 2014.

1. kaning

Thread Starter Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Hi, im looking for linear low dropout regulators. I already found what fitmy needs the problemi cant find where to buy them. i founf them onsemi and they sell but shiping costs 78usd. the regulators i need are

NCV5500 - http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...I/NCV5500.html
    NCP3335A - http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe.../NCP3335A.html
    basically they are adjustable regulators or fixed (5v) and 500 ma output with low dropout voltage

can someone pointme where i can possibly get them? company from europe would be perfect for lower shiping. Also if someone knows some similar product please let me know.

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

When you put your location in your profile, we can give you better advice where to buy your parts.

Bertus

kaning likes this.
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Digikey have them, but I don't know if they ship W.Wide.
    Max.

kaning likes this.
  4. kaning

Thread Starter Member

Jun 2, 2014
    thnaks for the reply. 0 available on both, even on their manufacturer website they are out of stock (adj ones) wich i need, then they have 5v fixed output ones, wich i could also use but i cant pay 78usd for shipping. probably it will be almost impossible to find theese ones around

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  6. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    There are tons of LDO 5v regulator ICs cheap on ebay.

Or if you want those exact parts try Farnell UK (Element14).

7. kaning

Thread Starter Member

Jun 2, 2014
    im having all this trouble because i have 6v 3,7w solar panel. i want to feed usb charger (5v) and nimh charger (5,6v to charge 4nimh's (1,2v)). is it worth all this trouble find adjustable low drop converter or a step down buck converter would the job better? they dont have voltage drop right? and so what happens to current? small waste or big? thank you

one such as this http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2596.pdf

8. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    A linear regulator wastes power but not current. The power loss equals the voltage drop across the regulator times the current. A linear regulator with a 6V input and a 5V output will thus have an efficiency of 5/6 or 83%. A switching converter can have higher efficiency, but in this case it likely wouldn't be much higher than the 83% of the linear regulator.

kaning likes this.
  9. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Does not seem worth the trouble. Guessing that OC V of SP is a bit over 8 V and the 6 V is at rated power which is seldom seen. I'd just feed chargers directly from panel. Not enough wasted power to worry about.

10. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Wouldn't you charge NiMH cells with a constant-current charger rather than a fixed 5.6V?
    As for the 5V regulator, you could simply make one from a transistor and a few other discrete components.

absf likes this.