low current high brightness LED's

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by wenn32, Mar 30, 2011.

1. wenn32

Thread Starter Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Hello guys do any of you guys know any LED that takes low current and output very high brightness? Is there any LED with this feature??.i want to use it with a spare car battery i have.say like 10mA and its gives very bright output :D

2. sage.radachowsky

May 11, 2010
    LEDs are a very efficient form of lighting in terms of lumens per Watt output, but no type of light can ever output more than 100% of the energy you put into it.

So, my answer is... you can find the most efficient LED in terms of lumens per watt. You speak of current, so you may want to use a higher voltage LED, thus the same current gives a higher power (Watts).

You should also know the effect on the human eye that you want to produce:
    1. Color? What color(s) or white do you want to produce?
    2. Geometry? Can you focus it toward the viewer?

If you use a highly focused LED and look right into it, it can be very bright, even running on 10 mA at 3.2Vf, for instance.

3. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Try some of the new 6000 to 10000 mCd LEDs!

I have some here that I run from 1mA and they are *painfully* bright to look directly at even at 1mA drive. I have a couple of small battery operated devices where the LEDs run at 0.2mA and are visible enough as an indicator, similar brightness to what LEDs were at 20mA in the 1970's. ;)

Most of these new "high intensity" LEDs are not just high intensity they are high efficiency too.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Vendors?..

5. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Me too, Bill. I have two projects where I would really like some low-current, relatively high brightness LEDs. I have one LED (don't know where I got it from) that runs great at 2 mA, but these sound even better.

6. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    I've bought from a number of suppliers but they are commonly available cheap enough on ebay in packs of 10 or 100;

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=hi...ty+LEDs&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Just look for any clear plastic LEDs that spec at 5000 mCd or higher, and of course hope they supply what you paid for and not lesser LEDs. ;)

Generally I buy when they have packs of 100, on specials. The ones in my link above seem quite a bit more expensive than the price I normally pay.