low cost linear actuator

capnray

Joined Jul 3, 2010
I'm looking for a low cost linear actuator (solenoid, not motor driven screw). Anyone got a clue as to where to find one? I have a PWM controller, need to control an engine. OH, 12VDC.

capnray

Joined Jul 3, 2010
Good points.
A 1" stroke would do quite well. Although I am controlling a carburetor vane/butterfly with it, there are air flow issues that require some force. Something in the neighborhood of 1 lb should work well. Also the shaft size should be 0.25" maximum. A "push" type is preferred.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
A 1" stroke with any force may be hard to attain. Why is it that you do not want a linear servo or linear screw? Since it is a butterfly, why not a regular servo? Servos or linear screws (jack screws) are the usual solution. John

capnray

Joined Jul 3, 2010
Having worked at Synchro-Start, I know that this type of actuator exists with the stroke and force needed. Our competitors as well as SSPI had both linear and rotary actuators capable of the job. Unfortunatetly SSPI is gone and the competitor's pricing is a bit out of range. A regular servo (my controller is PWM...DC) would be a bit large for a 13 HP OHV Briggs, The screw type lack the safety of immediate shudown in case of overspeed or power failure. I am locked into my controller which is PWM output, has multiple governing features controlled by a microprocessor.