Low battery indicator

Hurt_it_Circuit

Joined Oct 2, 2012
I have to use an Op-Amp (LM 741) to create a low battery indicator of an inverting amplifier when teh battery voltage for a 1.5AA battery has dropped below 1.2V. I cannot use zener diode and I can only use one LED. Any ideas on where I should begin or any equations that I could use?

Hurt_it_Circuit

Joined Oct 2, 2012
either 1.5V or 9V for power supply voltages
To build a low battery indicator that "indicates" by lighting an LED connected to the output of an inverting amplifier.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
You have to be aware of the input common mode range, and output voltage range, and design around those.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
With the single-polarity supply, some lousy old 741 opamps do not work with an input voltage less than 3V. Add a negative supply or use a modern opamp that works with its input voltages down to zero volts.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The 9V batteries at The Dollar Store are actually only a few volts and are leaking all over the place.

9V batteries made by (made for) Energizer and Duracell are guaranteed to still work fine 10 years from now. But they cost 3 or 4 times as much as the garbage at the Dollar Store.

Hurt_it_Circuit

Joined Oct 2, 2012
My turn on for the led is 1.73v and my low battery input voltage is 1.037v and my other battery source is9.43v.. I placed my led at non inverting input terminal and I tried to get my Vn to equal 1.73v which would just barely turn on my led.. I also made my low battery make a negative voltage so the difference would give me 1.73 v.. is my idea and thoought process wrong