Love Lego?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by t_n_k, Feb 19, 2014.

1. t_n_k

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    DerStrom8 and Sparky49 like this.
  2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Oh, yes it is.

I am subscribed in this channel for a long time.

I used to play with LEGOs a lot and I can fully appreciate the hard work involved in those builds.
    It is easy to make a prototype, but to build a contraption that is fault-free and rigid is a totally different story.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  3. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Never cared for Lego (but I may be the only one.) I am from the Lincoln Log, Erector Set era.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    3D printers do all of the above with ease, which is good news for small hobby robotics.

5. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    How about a full sized lego house? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HShqL3q8D7s

James May's toy stories is the series, there's quite a bit on youtube. They make a full sized motorbike and ride around the Isle of Man on it, a 1:1 model spitfire. 10 mile long model train track, a three mile scaletrix loop and a balsa wood glider to fly across the English Channel.

All great fun. :)

6. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

I thought all of those 4 coincided? I played with all 3. Though I admit I probably got my start with Lincoln Logs and Erector Set. And my parents threw out my Erector Set. :(

Did they market Lincoln Logs outside the US? If so what were there called? I imagine not too many log cabins out side North America???

7. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Without researching it, I don't exactly know about the timing. What I remember playing with was sort of pre-lego blocks. They were wood, had four little protrusions on the top, and four matching depressions on the bottom. They didn't lock together, but the bumps/recesses made them easy to stack, or lay like bricks. I don't remember what they were called. Maybe I'll search around a little.

ETA: Well, that didn't take long, but I was wrong about the number of bumps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ame...t=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item2335e7b90b

8. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I sort of remember those. Perhaps a friend had them.

And I can't believe all of the old windup metal toys I had. I got them as hand me downs from someone. I will bet they would be worth a small fortune today.

9. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I didn't know what the Lincoln Log set was, but googling it, I remember having a similar two-storey wooden kit. That one had logs with rectangular intersection, though.

10. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  11. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Were there any real log cabins in Greece at any time? I imagine it went from thatched huts in the very early history straight to stone?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  12. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    You might be right on this. In a country where stray rocks, mountains and earthquakes are aplenty, there really is no reason not to build with stone.

I don't know enough of history of architecture to answer this, though.