Lost neutral

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by grangrad05, Aug 14, 2013.

1. grangrad05

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 14, 2013
    What is the relationship between forward, reverse and slow on the control panel of a trophy booster mobility scooter?

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    What do you mean by 'relationship'?
    There is no neutral on a self powered mobile device?
    Max.

3. grangrad05

Aug 14, 2013
    My mobility scooter starts moving forward as soon as the ignition is on, I am trying to locate neutral having replaced the forward pot due to mechanical damage, if anyone can provide a solution, I would be most grateful ?

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Sorry I took it as electrical neutral not mechanical neutral :(
    Usually there is a switch that puts it in this mode, you need the schematic for the scooter.
    Max.

5. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    It sounds like the replacement pot was not positioned properly. If you tell your scooter to go in reverse slowly, will it find a spot where it stops?

6. grangrad05

Aug 14, 2013
    It is an electrical neutral, its the position between forward and reverse on an electrical control panel on my mobility scooter.

7. grangrad05

Aug 14, 2013
    Hi BillB3857,

Yes it works as it should in reverse, however when forward is selected it goes forward and starts to move immediately, not staying still (neutral)

8. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    I would still think that if the problem started after replacement of the forward pot, that the installation was not exactly proper. If the shaft were slightly turned toward the forward direction, it could be out of the zero speed zone.

9. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I've never played with a mobility scooter joystick, but inside the joysticks that I have played with (not gaming types),in addition to the pot, there were limit switches that were operated by a cam. these indicate "home" (center) position, full forward, and full reverse. If your joystick has these, then it would seem likely that with the joystick in center "home" position, there should be no output regardless of the pot not being centered properly. but even if this limit switch were not working, this still indicates an issue with the pot centering - or - another thing that could cause it creep even if the pot is properly centered, is if there is a bad connection elsewhere which is introducing additional resistance and acting as a "trim."

10. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Is this the control panel for your scooter???

11. grangrad05

Aug 14, 2013
    My control panel is older style will try to get a picture unlike more modern controls mine has ignition switch two joy sticks one either side controlling one main pot /left hand or right hand use so this hasn't been touched on the dash board control panel the ignition sw was accidentally turned 360 degrees which damaged the small adjustable pot marked foreword on the circuit board ( next to pot marked reverse and pot marked slow) whilst adjusting the replacement pot the speed can also be altered but when ignition is turned on instead of being stationary with the magnetic brake on like in reverse the scooter just drives off when ignition is switched on the foreword mode is always pre selected

12. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    can you prop it up on blocks (get a couple buddies and some beers and pretend you are a Nascar pit crew..just older :) ) and then adjust the forward pot to see if it will go into "neutral" again.. Really sounds like the forward pot is not seated/adjusted properly and is "essentially" in a position where its turned just enough to not allow it to go all the way into neutral.

13. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    So the pot that was replaced is NOT one that you control by hand while operating the scooter, right? If so, I can almost guarantee that it is a fine adjustment to cause the scooter to have zero speed when none is commanded. If I'm right, that pot is there to make up for minor variations in the rest of the circuit. Not an uncommon practice.

14. grangrad05

Aug 14, 2013
    No my panel is a lot older will try and take picture mine has indicators , left and right at the top with sw for horn either side coming down is reverse sw either side in between those is the light sw and 4/8 mph sw down along bottom is ignition sw on left ignition light in the middle and right of that is the adjustable speed control

15. grangrad05

Aug 14, 2013
    Given that explanation it means I,ll have to adjust these pots until I get lucky just have to be trail and error I think thanks for your help I will let you know how it turns out