Lost, need advice!

sig45

Joined May 13, 2009
Hi everybody!

Great site, best I have seen, a wealth of information. Have a question, hopefully someone can help. I own a major appliance store and now I will be displaying and selling LCD tv's. Will be displaying about 25 to 30 sets. Will have cablevision for reception, but what kind of amplifier do I need and what splitters should I use. How would I arrange the system? Where can I order? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hi everybody!
Hi there, Sig45

Great site, best I have seen, a wealth of information. Have a question, hopefully someone can help. I own a major appliance store and now I will be displaying and selling LCD tv's. Will be displaying about 25 to 30 sets. Will have cablevision for reception, but what kind of amplifier do I need and what splitters should I use.
You'd really be much better off having a pro installer coming in to set things up than trying to do it yourself.

Picture quality is everything in your business. Nothing will turn off prospective buyers more quickly than to come in and see a lousy picture on a supposedly brand-new TV set. This will cost you big money.

For the older sets, you'd just plug them right into the cable. But now, depending upon your cable system, you may need to use a cable box with RGB, CYMK, or the S-video inputs.

One of the worst things people do is stack splitters; ie: connect the output of one splitter to the input of another splitter. Just as bad is using RG-59 coax, which is cheap but very "lossy" compared to RG-6. Making good connections to coax isn't hard, but you really have to know what you're doing, and have the right tools.

You also need to have a cable meter (actually a handheld spectrum analyzer) to be able to determine that the signals are at an optimal level. Such meters aren't cheap, even when purchased used. You can roughly calculate the loss of signal level vs the run lengths and amplifiers & splitters in the system, but it needs to be planned out beforehand. You really need someone on-site to figure it all out.

If you want to have really good-quality video, consider setting up your displays using DVD or Blu-Ray players.

How would I arrange the system? Where can I order? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Try this site:
http://cabl.com/
It's frequented by professional cable installers.

It's worth paying a professional to do it right the first time.