Lost my Head ???

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dr.killjoy, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Sorry for the another post asking a stupid question .. . I am still working on the 5v supply but has been on the back burner since I got a used truck for cheap needs a lot of work ... I just did front wheel bearing and brakes and dics all around ... But anyways I choose to use a liberal regator .. Every time I look up a regulator for my purpose the Lm317 always comes up as the best specs .. Am I missing something or losing my head or is it perfect choice or is there a better option ????
    Oh the input is 12v DC ...

Jay Sr
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  2. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    For 12v DC to +5v DC the most common part is a 7805 regulator in TO-220 package. :)
  3. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    An LM317 is often mentioned because it is commonly used, cheap, and almost bullet-proof. But for minimum parts count a 7805 is a good choice also.
  4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    The 7805 does 5V all day long just by itself (plus one input and one output cap that every regulator needs).

The 317 needs two resistors to set the output voltage. Get it wrong and the output is also wrong. The advantage is you can tweak it to your exact needs.