Loosewire's Everglades Snake Hunting Team

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Capsize the boat? Scare away the animals? You've never been backwoods in the Glades I take it. Your chances are better that you'll get eaten by something. FL isn't like other states wildlife. Here like everything kills you.

A couple local news stories that you see in FL all the time.

1. Some hoodrat jacks a car and runs from the cops and then jumps into a alligator infested retention pond in the middle of the city. The cops then just go home and call the squad in the morning to go get his clothes if any are left.

2. Man swimming off his dock 10 foot from shore, a 16 ft bull shark comes up and takes a bite out of his torso and swims off.

3. FSU's quarterback goes hunting, gets bit by a tick, a couple months later they find him in the middle of the night, naked, dancing down tennesseee st. He turned out to have contracted lime disease.

When you come here be prepared for Sub Tropical and Tropical environments with almost every world known reptile living wild somewhere. I hear moose are dangerous though.

Last edited:
Capsizing a boat and scaring away the animals are hyperbolic jokes. I've been to Florida; I just don't live there.

I've read those news reports before, thanks. Florida gets itself into the news a lot. Go figure. Lots happening. I've even swam with sharks on multiple occasions. And I've seen moose too for what it's worth.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
As a kid, living in Eastern KY; I had my share of fun killing Copperheads, Eastern Diamondback rattlesnakes, Cottonmouths, etc..

Sure would be fun hunting pythons.

If I were younger, in better shape; and lived in FL.;):cool::D

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Capsizing a boat and scaring away the animals are hyperbolic jokes. I've been to Florida; I just don't live there.

I've read those news reports before, thanks. Florida gets itself into the news a lot. Go figure. Lots happening. I've even swam with sharks on multiple occasions. And I've seen moose too for what it's worth.
Those reef shark trips? Lots of debate that their following the engines back to shore. Not a big deal with black tips and reef sharks but in Hawaii and S. Africa and other places are luring Tigers, Mako's, and GW's.

I thought I saw a moose for about 2 minutes. Got up into maine in summer and I'm driving and I see what appears to be moose up in the hills. Well after a 2 min debate and stopping on the interstate we found they were wooden cut outs of moose.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
As a kid, living in Eastern KY; I had my share of fun killing Copperheads, Eastern Diamondback rattlesnakes, Cottonmouths, etc..

Sure would be fun hunting pythons.

If I were younger, in better shape; and lived in FL.;):cool::D
When I was a kid we'd go right in the middle of the city be the water on the bay. And my grandfather and me would work a palmetto bush and clear em out of Cottenmouths. Record was 7 snakes in 1 tree. Its roots were breaking thru a seawall so we were able to hang over the water and shoot em between the cracking seawall. No cops were ever called, this was just normal fun time shooting guns in the middle of the city. Rattles snakes we always went for the elegant meathod of droping a cynderblock on its head then whacking it off with a machete.(No grandpa mean no guns)

Nope. Never been on a reef shark trip. Just regular SCUBA trips. Mostly in Palau. Lots of sharks out there of course. I've seen them elsewhere but that was where the real encounters took place.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ amanuensis , ready to go with some new ideas...I impressed one T.V. type with

a demonstration. It tough to stay on the right tract,too many rules. I think I get

your person thing,I may be the right guy....with my team. more to come...lots of

time. Give a hint when you think you will be in Fla. I may out today.

Last edited:
@ Loosewire, OK, thanks. I'll let you know when I'm out in Florida. Probably the last week of January. And then a follow up later in February.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
@ Loosewire, OK, thanks. I'll let you know when I'm out in Florida. Probably the last week of January. And then a follow up later in February.
Don't get your hopes up. Seems as though 99% of the hunters are scared to go into the glades. Currently of the 1000 registered hunters their averaging 3-4 snakes a day(Total Catch by everyone). But as I mentioned earlier theirs really only 50 actual snake catchers out their.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Max, they have set bountries, we have to respect them. I have a year round

management pass,I am staying with my team now. I will go alone when I want.

I have told you my goose story,when I was by myself and the goose almost

knocked me off my boat,hitting me in the back about 10 mph.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
@ Max, they have set bountries, we have to respect them. I have a year round

management pass,I am staying with my team now. I will go alone when I want.

I have told you my goose story,when I was by myself and the goose almost

knocked me off my boat,hitting me in the back about 10 mph.
Didn't hear that but I don't think that would be an issue in an airboat. :) I know they have certain area's for the competition but I thought all of FL was open to harvest this year. People are checking here but their too sparce to just go grab one here.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Only three areas in the Big Cypress Swamp, no hunting on private property.

You down load the hunt maps,you are required to call a 1-888 number as soon

as you locate a life non-native. If I went alone and find a non-native snake

help is a phone call away.They only want them killed at last resort,I think they

want the big one's for show..that where the money is.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The said on the news to shoot them in the head or decapitate them (Noting PETA does not approve of the latter meathod) Also inferred that the experts thru out the park were their for the people who didn't know how to id an invasive as opposed to being there as an expert handler. They just said in our article to call if you had issues with the snake being too big or couldn't ID it. I fear some appalacian Kings are gonna parish during this though.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Its possible to end up on the wrong side of the law,I am going to be very careful

about how I do things. Not in a big hurry to bother something thats protected.

Some one may learn the hard way,the hunt is not run F.W.C. for that reason,

some org, is running it. The law is still the law, the F.W.C. had a pull over sting

on a narrow road in a state park,$160.00 ticket in a park for not giving a sting

car enough room. People don't know what F.W.C. is, now they know.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Its possible to end up on the wrong side of the law,I am going to be very careful

about how I do things. Not in a big hurry to bother something thats protected.

Some one may learn the hard way,the hunt is not run F.W.C. for that reason,

some org, is running it. The law is still the law, the F.W.C. had a pull over sting

on a narrow road in a state park,$160.00 ticket in a park for not giving a sting

car enough room. People don't know what F.W.C. is, now they know.
I was lucky enough to goto a FWC camp when I was a kid. OMG you talk about just pure wildness and crazyness. Sleeping in a cabins we'd here automatic gun fire at night, then all the rangers would go on red alert and all mount up with mossbergs and AR's. and go out looking for em. Learned a lot though. This wasn't a normal camp it was more heres a book on wildlife read it 2 days, goto 2 days of training, then they set you loose in the park.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
They have turned to parmiltary outfit now, they are now state police officers.

Back in your good old days,they were park rangers.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Not too late ,the camera man is not coming until February. Getting him a production

site ready, the pro's will spend 10 times the amount of the prize money showing off.

I bring up the rear or front in due course,stay tuned,they want a regular nature

guy that things just happen to him,that sound like me and my team. More....

Had a wild life management permit for years before this come along,canoed next

to a 16' alligator not too long ago,no phone service..just our canoe and the gator

that slide into the water 12' away...Just kept on stroking...slowing and quietly.

I am still here stroking the key board, just stroking to the music in my head, with

those words. Just stroking..if you didn't hear that song,you are missing something.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
At the Elbo Room ,you will find sharks,snakes and all that stuff....there is a

Loosewire characture on the wall with other whatayouwannacallthempeople.