Looper Guitar Pedal Project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by TheLastBaron, Feb 4, 2016.

1. TheLastBaron

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 3, 2016

I'm new to the forum and hoping to get a bit more proactive in building my own circuits. I want to cement my understanding in electronics as well as expand what I already know and because of this I would rather not take shortcuts but build from scratch what is reasonable in practice.

I've recently been wanting to build my own Guitar Pedals. The first pedal I want to build is a Looper Pedal, a good example of this is shown in the following video (a Ditto Looper):

When I want to record what I'm playing on my guitar I hit the pedal button, it begins to record, if it hit it again it stops recording and starts playing back.
    I would like to take this project through a structured design project process starting from concept, block diagrams and adding and building upon this into a final circuit to implement into a complete enclosure and finished product. I would like to hear what would be the process you guys would take in designing something like this.

I would like this pedal to:
    1. Have 5 minutes of record time
    2. At least 5 overdubs
    3. A bypass to play past the pedal if wanted
    4. Undo/redo recordings
    What I understand at the moment is that I will need to convert my guitar signal to digital using an ADC and from there process these digital signals and then convert it back to analogue through a DAC and into my guitar amp. I know that I will need to be able to store multiple digital signals and play them back simultaneously.

Obviously what I have described above is very high level, but am I on the right thinking path? And could anyone provide some guidance as to what would be the way to go?

I have an Arduino Leonardo at my disposal for prototyping.

Thanks! :)