Looks like Freeday at sparkfun is almost over

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by maxpower097, Jan 7, 2010.

1. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Did anyone even manage to get onto the site? I tried logging on about 400 times and got the home page to load once and that took 8 minutes. Just wondered if anyone else did any better.

2. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    No luck here...

3. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I'm beginning to think unless you used some hammering software you didn't have a chance. On the plus side I think ebay's gonna be booming with components and ardino's. :)

4. Paulo540

Nov 23, 2009
    Frustrating as hell. Was worth a shot though. Not like I really needed a dual axis magnetometer anyways...

I tried one window, I tried 20, I tried 3 computers, no love regardless. Would occasionally get to the shipping page but then continuing was no dice.

Kinda left a sour taste in my mouth, I was on from 7:30 to 9:45.

I don't do robotics anyhow, so I doubt I'll actually be buying from them anyways.

5. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Hell you got off easy. I spent 4 hours last night filling my cart, then tried to check out from 11am EST - 12:45 EST. Then it finally went through at 12:45 and it said it was over. I kinda got mad and left. I honestly don't think it was handled very well. I would have had no problem logging in at 11:15 and seeing they were sold out, but I do have a problem with 3 hours of just "Connection timed out!" Who knows I admire them for doing it but wow, their network admin should be whipped with a wet noodle. :)

PS what really sux is I was going to buy a Logic, Scope, lots o components, and a couple ardino's. Now I think I'll just stick to ebay.

6. Paulo540

Nov 23, 2009
    I agree completely, I mean, yeah, I shouldn't bitch about free schwag. But I too spent a while filling the cart last night and such. They claimed they 'beefed up' the servers and whatnot but I doubt it. I live 1 hour from LA with a 12Mbps Cable and actually got to a web page maybe 5 times in 2 hours. They probably just lottery'd ip ranges or something.

Like you, if when I tried to checkout at 8:01 am (pst) and it said "tough nuggets, you lose" I would have understood, shrugged my shoulders and moved on.

Ces't la vie

7. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Well I didn't even know about it. What were they giving away? How often does this happenN?

8. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    They were giving $100 off any order of anything that they had. All you had to pay was any amount over $100 for your order and shipping. I think this will be a one time thing.

I figured there would be a lot of people trying to get the free stuff but it was worth a shot!

9. ispymalik

Apr 7, 2008
    got to shipping, but timed out EVERRRRYY time in the confirmation.
    Sighs..

10. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
  11. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    ... like moths to a flame! :p Luckily, i didn't know about it.

12. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

Wow!!!! That is a lot of cash. I wish I knew about this, it could have been a great way to stock up on parts! :) But from the sound of it, the chances of me getting anything was pretty slim anyway. :) I'm guessing to compete you would need to know what you wanted. I wonder if you could have had your shopping cart loaded beforehand?

I just started buying parts on line so maybe I am wrong but it seems to me that sparkfun is awfully expensive. I'd rather seem them spend the money on reducing their regular prices. They seem to be much more expensive than mouser for certain parts I looked at. But then I did not factor in things like shipping.

Also sparkfun does have a lot of rather unique items.

What's with the motor controller they are giving away? Are they still giving that away? It does have a price on it, don't know if it is free or not.

13. Paulo540

Nov 23, 2009
    Yeah, I loaded my cart last night. It was painfully obvious that every nerd coast to coast was too as it took over an hour to get 5 items in there.

Basically, what happened this morning was a DDOS attack, lol.

They did have a couple hard to find items, like those itty bitty micro sma connector adapters and what not, but I suppose I'll survive...

:)