Looking To Buy First Oscilloscope. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by NFA Fabrication, Sep 11, 2012.

1. NFA Fabrication

Thread Starter Member

Aug 12, 2012
    I am toying with the idea of buying an Oscilloscope. Browsing Ebay, I have found some in the $300 range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADS1022-DIG...27265?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item5ae57b6a61

I am a basic hobbyist, and am actively researching electronics, and doing more and more projects by the day. What would you guys recommend? Can I get something reasonable in this price range? Will a little more money get me something that much better? Not sure where to start on this!

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    That's another brand I have not seen before.
    This forum has discussed Rigol and Owon scopes in the past.
    Shop around.

http://www.saelig.com/category/PS.htm

The other option is to look for a used analog scope in the $25-$100 price range.

3. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Check into B&K Precision....... good solid equipment, and they stand behind you down the road.
    I have an "obsolete" model of their 1540A, [ 40 Mhz Dual ] and when I asked about where to get it's calibration checked, they told me it was obso, tho' they would send me info to calibrate it............
    They sent board trace, component layout, parts list, and a complete regimen to check all functions......... more support than I ever hoped for !!!

B&K Forever ~!!!

4. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    Along a different vein, a guy named Wolfgang Machen or "Womai" on the net sells a kit for his Dpscope. It has a truck load of features in a compact package for $50.
    My old Tektronix just keeps on ticking and takes a licking, or I would have bought one of these a long time ago.

5. K7GUH

Jan 28, 2011
    I found a perfectly good used Tek scope for $220, from a guy who renovates used scopes and sells them as a hobby. He lives in a suburb north of Seattle.

6. NFA Fabrication

Thread Starter Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Hmmm, I live in N. Seattle as well. Any more info on this guy?

7. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    My general rule is buy USED older top-of-the-line gear -Tektronix, HP, etc.

1) you can almost always sell it for what you paid for it.

2) it's a pleasure to work with good quality gear.

Stay away from computer-based instruments in general, they work, but force you into an awkward work-flow that IMHO is not value producing in the long run.