Looking into Designing an RC Car

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by qbvbsite, Dec 14, 2010.

1. qbvbsite

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Hey,
    I have been dabbling in reading about electronics for awhile and would like to start a project. My first project I wish to do is build an RC Car from scratch. When I say from scratch I mean the Motor circuit, Reciever Circuit and Transmitter circuit (I think thats all I need). I plan on purchasing the Motor and Chase online and will not be building those. My first goal is just a very basic RC car that I can control with a remote. Once that is completed I'll slowly add features/circuits to improve its functionality (which will be later used in my second project).

From what I have read I should first work on a circuit for the motor that is just manually controlled. Once that is complete I can then work on the RC circuits for the Car and Remote. I plan on making these circuits on the computer before accually purchasing anything. I would apperiate any help from all you al circuit members.

Does this plan sound good? As far as what I currectly know is the basics (pretty much the first half of volume 1) but looking forward on learning more. If you could point me to anything that might help that would be great. I'll be sure to post my progress in this thread as I go.

--James

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Your crazy.

Nuts.

Crazy.

Welcome to AAC.

This is really no where near a 5th year project, and you are only half way through Volume 1.

You have A WHOLE LOT of learning to do.

The radio transmitter / receiver is one of the hardest things to build. Especially in the Mhz ranges.

Proper PCB design, layout, filtering, antenna design, etc.

Then shielding to be sure the motor doesn't interfere with the radio signals.

Oh boy.. I hope you have a few thousand dollars to spend.

3. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    You can buy the gear you need from any RC shop. Those RC radios are very complex and not a beginners project.

Oh yea, and what the above post says.

4. qbvbsite

Jun 29, 2010
    Hey,
    I didn't say anything was going to be easy and I dont plan on it being easy. This is going to be an on going hobby and I'm not afraid to learn. What I'm asking for is some direction on what I should be reading/learning from. My first plan is to read all the volumes above and then start to apply them in designing the required circuits. The RC circuits are really want interest me in this project and will probably what I will want to spend the most time on (my second project will require lots of RC related stuff).

--James

5. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Get the basics under your belt, your a long way off from RF design. A college course might help.

6. qbvbsite

Jun 29, 2010
    I plan on doing the RF probably last so not to worried about that. No need for a college course as I can learn everything online and through help on this forum. My plan is just to take things set by step and learn from the ground up.

7. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Then you should start how you are.

Read the eBook and do some of the projects in the Experiments section.

Light some LEDs, Pattern some LEDs, learn to control a motor, learn about and UNDERSTAND oscillators.

This is VERY important to your future plans.

Oscillators are what give you what you need to flash stuff, pulse stuff, and set the frequencies for your ultimate project. RF designs.

Using the 555 for a timer, delay, flasher. Get these down PAT.

READ the book. Watch the videos. Build EASY projects to keep your interest and to get the "YES! IT WORKS" feeling a few times.

That way, when a "Crap! It doesn't work!" comes along, you will already KNOW you have the ability to make things work and you wont just give up.

You are going to need to set up a bench.

Power supplies, Digital Multi-Meter, oscilloscope (DEFINITELY for radio stuff), function generator.

Most can be built.

Building your test equipment will help GREATLY. It saves you money while teaching you invaluable lessons in design and construction.

Go buy these 2 books. NOW:
    Engineers Mini Notebooks 1 and 4.
    http://forrestmims.com/engineers_mini_notebook.html
    You can get them at some Radio Shacks in the states, not sure about Canada.. but you can order them from the above link.

bill_marsden, a member here, has a great blog with a bunch of 555 and LED centric stuff to build, with schematics, layouts, and explanations.
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/blog.php?b=378

8. qbvbsite

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks retched. This is the kind of information I was looking for. From this I should be able to come up with a list of mini projects that I can create well going through the books above and the ones you mentioned. So from the looks of it i'll be making alot of mini LED circuits to learn the basics which then can be applied to non LED circuits. Is this correct?

Thanks again.

--James

9. Len Whistler

Dec 10, 2010
    That's how I'm tackling it. I'm working on an intervalometer for my camera's shutter using the 555 timer IC.

I am new to the 555 timer and 4017 decade counter IC's and once I understand them and get the LED's flashing properly I will then replace some of the LED's with a hookup to my camera.

10. bassplayer142

Jan 2, 2007
    Yea research how you will create a motor controller circuit with the 555. with a form of pulse width modulation you can send an average dc power supply to the motor with higher frequencies. This will give the motor a low to high speed.

http://www.dprg.org/tutorials/2005-11a/index.html

As far as the RF goes, if anything you should probably read about the technology and what is required. It helps to create something later on if you know the basis of what is required. That way, when you learn relevant material in class or online, you can easily cross reference between what you now know and what you need to create your project.