LOOKING FOR VFD Display tube

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by R0bert1942, Jan 19, 2013.

1. R0bert1942

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    I bought an old heathkit Amateur radio rig 1982 vintage rather rare an SS9000 tranceiver I worked on these back at heathkit in 82 actually built the first one there in engineering so I bought it out of sentiment anyway the VFD display is DOA I found a tiny crack in it and it has turned white inside . I got the rig working fine just no way to tell what frequency it is on :( these VFD tubes are no longer made Heathkit is out of business and I am looking for one It has 17 digits actually only 12 are used in the Heathkit the others are covered by a center piece . On back of the display it has the part number
    " FUTABA 17-MT-34 " It is 160mm long and 34 MM tall and approximately 12.5 mm thick there are 37 connecting wires or strips coming out of it along the bottom edge . Perhaps someone has one of these in their parts? new or used and would be Willing to sell it . I am also open to suggestions . Perhaps an LED display could be connected to the VFD circuit somehow ? The Voltage on the VFD circuits is 28 volts so it could drive LED's with appropriate dropping resistors ? I have very little experience actually with display circuits and my age is catching up with me here and I could use some suggestions as to how to do this . THANK YOU ! BOB
  2. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    Do you have a schematic of the transceiver that you can post?
  3. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
  4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    The complicated option would be to try retrofitting another vfd, like this one from a desktop calculator (no DATASHEET so you'll have to figure out the corresponding pins)

Another option, almost as difficult will be nailing down the retrofit for a LED sip lay (at least you will have DATASHEET on a LED array (use 3 sets of 4 digit modules would be the easiest to access).

Easiest option would be to buy a frequency counter and attach that to your radio.