LOOKING FOR VFD Display tube

R0bert1942

Joined Jan 18, 2013
I bought an old heathkit Amateur radio rig 1982 vintage rather rare an SS9000 tranceiver I worked on these back at heathkit in 82 actually built the first one there in engineering so I bought it out of sentiment anyway the VFD display is DOA I found a tiny crack in it and it has turned white inside . I got the rig working fine just no way to tell what frequency it is on :( these VFD tubes are no longer made Heathkit is out of business and I am looking for one It has 17 digits actually only 12 are used in the Heathkit the others are covered by a center piece . On back of the display it has the part number
" FUTABA 17-MT-34 " It is 160mm long and 34 MM tall and approximately 12.5 mm thick there are 37 connecting wires or strips coming out of it along the bottom edge . Perhaps someone has one of these in their parts? new or used and would be Willing to sell it . I am also open to suggestions . Perhaps an LED display could be connected to the VFD circuit somehow ? The Voltage on the VFD circuits is 28 volts so it could drive LED's with appropriate dropping resistors ? I have very little experience actually with display circuits and my age is catching up with me here and I could use some suggestions as to how to do this . THANK YOU ! BOB

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The complicated option would be to try retrofitting another vfd, like this one from a desktop calculator (no DATASHEET so you'll have to figure out the corresponding pins)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-BT-113G-...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item56402567c6

Another option, almost as difficult will be nailing down the retrofit for a LED sip lay (at least you will have DATASHEET on a LED array (use 3 sets of 4 digit modules would be the easiest to access).

Easiest option would be to buy a frequency counter and attach that to your radio.