Looking for tiny laser module

timropp

Joined Nov 3, 2011
Have a project at work that we are looking for a tiny laser module for. We have workers that die cut out parts, using a die similar to this:

However, ours have clear lexan instead of wood, so you can see through to align the die. That's still slow though, so the idea was to embed a laser into the die and have printed tick marks on the material to align the laser dot with. Put lasers in 2 corners and you could align it quickly and very consistently.

So, we need a laser module small enough to embed completely in the die. We've got about 1/2" of thickness to work with. Most of what I've found are too big and so would have to shoot horizontally and then embed a mirror or prism to redirect the beam downward. Anyone have a source for inexpensive laser modules that are smaller? The PERFECT module would actually be inserted from the edge and fire sideways from itself, but I don't know if that even exists. We could live with one that shoots out the tip as long as it's less than 1/2" long .

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Have a project at work that we are looking for a tiny laser module for. We have workers that die cut out parts, using a die similar to this:

However, ours have clear lexan instead of wood, so you can see through to align the die. That's still slow though, so the idea was to embed a laser into the die and have printed tick marks on the material to align the laser dot with. Put lasers in 2 corners and you could align it quickly and very consistently.

So, we need a laser module small enough to embed completely in the die. We've got about 1/2" of thickness to work with. Most of what I've found are too big and so would have to shoot horizontally and then embed a mirror or prism to redirect the beam downward. Anyone have a source for inexpensive laser modules that are smaller? The PERFECT module would actually be inserted from the edge and fire sideways from itself, but I don't know if that even exists. We could live with one that shoots out the tip as long as it's less than 1/2" long .
Specifics, please. Size, power, beam width?

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
http://www.mpja.com/Mini-LASER-Head-635nm-5mw/productinfo/19566+LZ
0.230" diameter, 0.560" long
Mini LAZER - <5mw, 635nm Red Laser Diode head for aiming, alignment or other uses 3mm Aperure
0.8m Radians Divergence
3.0VDC operation, Forward current <40mA.
5V max Reverse Voltage.
6mm Dia. Brass Body, 2in Leads
Dia:6mmL: 15mm WT: .001

http://www.mpja.com/LASER-Diode-Red-Crosshair-Pattern/productinfo/33029+LZ
Mini 635nM Red Laser Diode head with Crosshair Pattern used for aiming, alignment or other uses..
NOTE: DO NOT POINT INTO ANY EYE OR ANY SURFACE THAT CAN REFLECT INTO EYE
Operating voltage: DC 4.5V-5V
Operating Current: <40MA
Power: <3mW
Spread: ~22in. Sq. @ 24in.
Brass Body with 4in. Leads
Dia:9mmL: 22mmWT: .02

timropp

Joined Nov 3, 2011
Thanks, but still too big. I need 1/2" (12mm) or smaller, in the dimension parallel to the laser beam. The first one is close at 15mm, but still too long.

Laser power / beam size don't really matter. I'm just trying to throw an alignment dot about 1".

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
http://www.mpja.com/Mini-LASER-Head-635nm-5mw/productinfo/19566+LZ
0.230" diameter, 0.560" long
Mini LAZER - <5mw, 635nm Red Laser Diode head for aiming, alignment or other uses 3mm Aperure
0.8m Radians Divergence
3.0VDC operation, Forward current <40mA.
5V max Reverse Voltage.
6mm Dia. Brass Body, 2in Leads
Dia:6mmL: 15mm WT: .001

http://www.mpja.com/LASER-Diode-Red-Crosshair-Pattern/productinfo/33029+LZ
Mini 635nM Red Laser Diode head with Crosshair Pattern used for aiming, alignment or other uses..
NOTE: DO NOT POINT INTO ANY EYE OR ANY SURFACE THAT CAN REFLECT INTO EYE
Operating voltage: DC 4.5V-5V
Operating Current: <40MA
Power: <3mW
Spread: ~22in. Sq. @ 24in.
Brass Body with 4in. Leads
Dia:9mmL: 22mmWT: .02
So ideally you would like to find something 1/4" (6 mm) in diameter and 1/2' (12 mm) long with crosshair?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
As a retired die maker who has made so many fixtures, dies and small production machines for things like this, I think you are missing something on how this type of thing is normally done. Usually even with a "steel rule die" like you show, you need a base plate and a press. The base plate would then have rails or fence's to position the material to be stamped in the same place every time. This would then be positioned in the press with the die mounted to line up with this position. Doing something more than one time, even with a laser pointer is slow and not the normal way production is done.