looking for the name of a type of header

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Smertrios, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Smertrios

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 12, 2013
  2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Those look like standard 0.1" male-male header pins, from a "breakaway/snappable" strip.

Female Version, machined socket, breakaway

Male Version, standard, breakaway

The two will plug together, one type on one board, other sex on other board. Order to length (non-breakaway are MUCH cheaper), or break off the needed number of pins for each sex. They can also be used to connect flying wire leads, but not optimal for that purpose due to lack of insulation and polarity protection.

3. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
  4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    The fault is all yours. You messed that one up.. You bought 1 row/1 position pins
    Should have ordered 517-929834-01-05 (1 row/5 position)

5. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    There's one or two more possible "oops" here. I've seen those pins come in 3 maybe 4 different sizes, short/medium, medium/medium medium/long and long/long. And just for fun they also come in right angle versions too.

Did I mention double rows?

thatoneguy has a good link (I love DigiKey for part mining). Follow his link, then go back up one step to see lots of options. You want 0.1" spacing to start, then toss away things that don't look good. You have pictures below of some of the finds.

I buy these things in bulk, 40 pin rows in packs of 10 or so, thru EBay from some no-name place in China for pennies, free (or cheap) shipping too. I just cut them off as long as I need.

The female headers are very useful too, but to cut those I use a saw left over from my modeling days.

6. Smertrios

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 12, 2013
    I know what I did wrong. I was looking for a best price and didn't check the specifics of the item I chose because the pic looked like what I wanted. Thanks for the help!