Looking for someone to build me a circuit...

Ross1966

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Hi

I am looking for help in building a circuit that will make my electric motor travel in a clockwise direction then after hitting a switch travel in a counter clockwise direction. Think of it like a teeter todder, when the teeter todder hits the ground on the one side the direction of the motor switches and the teeter todder is told to travel in the opposite direction. Can anyone help me out? Any help is very much appreciated. I am told that two limit switches, and a latching DPDT relay. The relay is wired as a bridge to reverse the voltage to the motor each time it is triggered by the corresponding limit switch. I would also need 4 diodes to protect the relay contacts from the motor inductive spike would get the job done but I haven't got a clue what those things are or how to put them together.

That's where you come in... let me know what it would cost for you to build this for me and also how much you would want to ship it

I have a Video that gives a good idea of what I am after, just ignore the gear system and motor location I would want to go directly from the motor to the wooden stick

The motor that I have can be seen at the following link:

http://incubatorwarehouse.com/5rpm-dc-motor.html

The motor already has a time control unit so speed is not an issue at all its strictly the clockwise/ counterclockwise rotation I am after.

Thanks
Ross1966

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
How are the intervals set as per the ad?
Some of these gear motors are electronically commutated, IOW they have electronics enclosed.
Max.

Ross1966

Joined Dec 23, 2014
the motor would move at a certain speed when the motor travels far enough to hit the switch I just want it to return in the opposite direction to the other switch which will in turn send it back etc...

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
What I mean is, the device in the video can rock the beam back and forth without intervention from the electronics and limit switches etc. so why not just build such a device, the electronics are unnecessary. The extra linkage required for a purely mechanical system barely adds to the complexity.

Ross1966

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I have tried to figure out how to do it with just the gearing and I can't seem to figure it out. Could you explain, I like the fact that things are not failing...

Ross1966

Joined Dec 23, 2014
The ad mentions the 'Kit' is able to set your own interval time, does this mean something separate to the motor is included?
Max.

Yes the motor has a control module that regulates speed. it's included with the controller for the incubator kit I purchased. you can set the speed so thats not the issue its the forward and reverse motion of the motor I am after.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Is there any more info or details on the control module?
I assume the one reversing in the video is the same unit as the one in the link?
Max.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This appears to be another "I'll pay someone to..." thread, which will lead nowhere.

I am hesitant to ask, but just how much per hour does the TS intend to PAY? Will the payment involve a Nigerian bank, Ambassador, or King? Also, shipping could be a major issue. Is the location on any sort of restricted list? Where is it?

John

Ross1966

Joined Dec 23, 2014
This appears to be another "I'll pay someone to..." thread, which will lead nowhere.

I am hesitant to ask, but just how much per hour does the TS intend to PAY? Will the payment involve a Nigerian bank, Ambassador, or King? Also, shipping could be a major issue. Is the location on any sort of restricted list? Where is it?

John

You are a jerk, I'm Canadian which means that I and the rest of the world should be skeptical of you, being and American and all. I am just a guy trying to figure something out about electronics. If you want to know about something I am super involved with say Chickens well then by all means come over to my forum. I'll be sure to be an unwelcoming jackass and rub your face in the fact that your ignorant because you don't know what I do......

This is the problem with the whole GD world everyone is out to screw everyone right? Wrong. Get off your butt and do something for someone other than yourself today and don't expect it back.

I am ending this thread because this is not helpful.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Ad hominem comments can result in temporary or permanent bans on AAC. When you feel the need to call someone names here, don't.

For the record, the staff here are 2 Americans, 1 Canadian (the owner), and one Hollander, so you have lumped 50% of the staff in with your little rant. How very un-Canadian of you.

Last edited:

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
"Ad hominem comments can result in temporary or permanent bans on AAC. When you feel the need to call someone names here, don't."

I hope John had the same warning. Without actually calling the OP any names he came pretty close?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

John

You are a jerk, I'm Canadian which means that I and the rest of the world should be skeptical of you, being and American and all. I am just a guy trying to figure something out about electronics. If you want to know about something I am super involved with say Chickens well then by all means come over to my forum. I'll be sure to be an unwelcoming jackass and rub your face in the fact that your ignorant because you don't know what I do......

This is the problem with the whole GD world everyone is out to screw everyone right? Wrong. Get off your butt and do something for someone other than yourself today and don't expect it back.

I am ending this thread because this is not helpful.
You are over-reacting, but since you don't have sufficient context to understand his remark, it's not too unreasonable or surprising, though you should still try to temper your responses, particularly if you are new to a forum and even if you have to bite your tongue a bit, since the old adage about first impressions applies (and, yes, it does apply both directions, but that is where the adage about beggars and choosers comes in).

What he is referring to is that we get a lot of people that come here and ask for someone to design and build something for them without realizing how much time and effort is involved in even fairly simple things. For instance, not too long ago someone wanted someone to design a circuit to do something just a little different from what an off-the-shelf unit that cost a few dollars could do and could not understand why someone couldn't do that for a couple dozen dollars at most. You may or may not fall into that category, we don't know yet.

I can't watch the video because of my bandwidth constraints, but it sounds like you are trying to achieve a rocking motion, correct? If so, then that is pretty easy to accomplish using a purely rotary motion as the input. Imagine an old-style steam locomotive and how it takes a reciprocating motion from the steam piston up front and using a linkage to turn that into the rotary motion of the wheels. What you need is simply the same thing except you use a motor to turn the wheels and the linkage creates a reciprocating motion at the end of it. If you are familiar with how a piston engine works, the same idea applies. How simple or complex it ends up being will depend on the details of the motion you need and how critical those details are.