LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO BUILD A CIRCUIT BOARD.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I agree, but I think someone has already designed this, at least a clap and whistle activated switch, maybe not on one board, but it shouldn't be too hard to combine, even if its two separate boards in one enclosure. The kits and directions already exist.
This is assuming that the kits are compatible. It also requires someone to research what kits are available. Then they have to research enough about how the kits work in order to determine how they would/could be made to play with each other. Then they have to design the glue that will integrate them. Then they have to design the enclosure, even if it's just determining a suitable off-the-shelf enclosure, and how everything will mount in them. Then they have get everything. Then they have to assemble everything. Then they have to test everything.

Hopefully you can see how this is not something that someone is going to do in an hour and a half. Even if they do it in just 20 hours at $50/hr you are already at $1000.

And this completely ignores the issue of liability. What happens if they send this thing to you and then you start using it and the next thing you know your house burns down?

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
And this completely ignores the issue of liability. What happens if they send this thing to you and then you start using it and the next thing you know your house burns down?
And then person sues the company which made the product.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That turned South in a hurry!
Yep, but it is something that has to be (or at least really should be) considered by anyone willing to take this on. People have been sued by relatives, neighbors, and close friends over stuff along these lines. I recall a few years ago someone had seen some gizmo that their neighbor had built as a lawn ornament and asked them to do something similar for them, which the person did. Then a couple years later it got hit by lightening and that followed the wiring up into the house and set it on fire. So the guy sued his neighbor for failing to provided adequate lightening protection into the gizmo and won.

RVW

Joined Dec 3, 2014
This is assuming that the kits are compatible. It also requires someone to research what kits are available. Then they have to research enough about how the kits work in order to determine how they would/could be made to play with each other. Then they have to design the glue that will integrate them. Then they have to design the enclosure, even if it's just determining a suitable off-the-shelf enclosure, and how everything will mount in them. Then they have get everything. Then they have to assemble everything. Then they have to test everything.

Hopefully you can see how this is not something that someone is going to do in an hour and a half. Even if they do it in just 20 hours at $50/hr you are already at $1000.

I see your point about liability, but if that's the case no one would ever do anything for anyone for fear of being sued, the manufacturer of the kit would have to be responsible for the design. Putting two boards in one enclosure does not change the design, and I was hoping maybe someone had done this kind of project before and could give some advice on the cost or how difficult it was to do. Assembly for someone who knows what they are doing probably wouldn't take that long. If they have to design glue, then its much more than I am looking for.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The usual way this is avoided is for both parties to be corporations. The purpose of doing business as a corporation is to avoid such issues entirely.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I see your point about liability, but if that's the case no one would ever do anything for anyone for fear of being sued, the manufacturer of the kit would have to be responsible for the design. Putting two boards in one enclosure does not change the design, and I was hoping maybe someone had done this kind of project before and could give some advice on the cost or how difficult it was to do. Assembly for someone who knows what they are doing probably wouldn't take that long. If they have to design glue, then its much more than I am looking for.
There are LOTS of people and companies that do not do LOTS of things that they would otherwise be more than happy to do for fear of liability. It's all about risk/reward. If I'm making something that is unlikely to cause harm for someone that is unlikely to sue me even if it does, then I am much more willing to do that for a low price than if I am doing something for which the potential for harm is either higher or even just more of an unknown and I am doing it for someone that I don't know and therefore I must assume that they are much more likely to sue me if something does happen. If I am making a million of something then I am in a much better position to put more effort into the design to address safety concerns, to perform the testing and get the appropriate certifications to that effect, and carry suitable liability coverage. All of those costs are NRE and can be amortized over all of the units produced. If I'm doing one-off, then I am at much higher risk and will charge a lot more and want appropriate liability waivers (which, depending on how they are written and/or what actually happens, are often worthless).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The usual way this is avoided is for both parties to be corporations. The purpose of doing business as a corporation is to avoid such issues entirely.
Corporations get sued all the time -- and often by other corporations.

If you operate as a corporation then you get SOME protection from being sued personally, but it is far from the case that you can't be sued personally (in addition to the corporation) or that the court can't find the owners (be they individuals or other corporations) liable. This is known as piercing the corporate veil and it is routine for any civil lawsuit to move that the court do so even when there isn't much of a chance of the court doing it.

Worse, there's only so much you can do to protect against having the veil pierced since one of the tests that courts can use is whether not doing so would be unfair to the plaintiffs.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
RVW, if you want inexpensive then you will have to do all the work yourself because anyone who has ever designed and built even the simplest of projects to a good standard will tell you that there are many hours of work involved and even at a modest hourly rate the cost will exceed whatever you think the device is worth. The least you should do if you require assistance is to provide a detailed functional specification so that people don't waste their time trying to figure out what you want. It would also be useful to describe the application because there may be off-the-shelf remote control solutions available that will do the job. e.g. what benefit does sound activation offer as it is neither secure or reliable? can't you just press a button?

jveezy

Joined Aug 1, 2017
I am looking for someone who can help with a small project. I would like a small circuit board that will activate a switch with a whistle or two claps. I know they sell kits that will do this, but I want to choose the sound that activates the switch. I think this could be accomplished with fairly simple circuits. I'm not looking for advice on how to do it, I am looking for someone to build it for me. If you are interested please let me know, and we can talk. Thanks
You can get a custom PCB made at https://jamesrstevick.wixsite.com/mak3pcb, a couple guys who make custom PCBs for DIY projects.