Looking for SMD protoboards

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
So finally I got all the parts I need for my wireless project.
Only problem, I was convinced that the MICRF112 and encoder/decoder chips from LINX are the usual smd packages with 2.54mm lead spacing or maybe a little smaller. They are not. :(

They are tiny almost invisible chips with 0.5mm lead spacing. No way I could wire this prototype-like. I need a PCB and I'd like to know if protoboards exist with various SMD-IC mounting options on them... ???

If not I'll have to develop the PCB and hope everything works fine from the very beginning (which even with careful planing it usually doesn't).

EDIT: Just found out that there exist adapters for smd components, I saw a few on ebay... maybe I find one for a 10pin MSOP with 0.5mmm pitch...

Last edited:

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
However, those ICs are tiny to get away from the inductance of larger packages. If you put it on an adapter, you'll be adding a good bit of inductance and other parasitics.
Thanks. That's true, additional inductance could be a problem. On the other hand, these chips are almost plug and play devices. I could shorten the tracks of the adapter if there is a problem. But to solder a wire on a MSOP with 0.5mm pitch I consider almost impossible. :rolleyes: So I'll go that way.

EDIT: Found another one, they have lots of options: https://www.proto-advantage.com/store/index.php

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I keep a stock of SMD PCB adaptors in stock that I get from Digole Digital Solution which is a Chinese company with an EBay portal. These adapters are very inexpensive, have a different footprint type on either side, and come in many sizes and patterns.

Only drawback is the standard shipping isn't fast, hence why I stock them.

They also have good prices on strip headers to get these into your protoboard.