looking for Small 3 way LED flasher circuit design

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by george0039, Nov 12, 2015.

1. george0039

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Hello
    I need the memberships help.
    I would like to have a Small circuit, not a PIC, because I don`t know programming and this is a couple circuits only needed.
    My voltage is 6v to 12v. The LED is a three color flasher, three leeds in the LED. I would like the circuit to be triggered by me so that it flashes ALL three led colors in a rate that each color can be seen and ONLY be stopped by powering the circuit off. I have experience with the old 555 I.C. I know, ancient, but I can solder directly to it`s pins with components and it is physically small.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    George

2. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    So a bit more information on it,

Does each led have its own flasher circuit, if so three 555 timers.? Or leds chasing in a row with a cd4017?

Do you want variable speed.?
    Is it separate leds or one tri colour led.?
    What power led are they.?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  3. george0039

Oct 15, 2008
    Hello Dodgydave

Thanks for your reply, sorry about the missing info.
    No variable speed, would like the LED to flash between ALL three of it`s colors with enough time to see each color.
    The LED is one Tri color LED with 3 pins coming from it.
    Sorry I don`t know the exact power of the LED. Has not been bought yet, is there a range you can work from?

I hope you are able to come up with a working circuit for me with this info.

George

4. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Most likely a R-G LED, third color, Y, is combination of R & G.. If it were a flasher, probably would have 2 leads.
    How about a 4022 or 4017 & a 555; can use diodes & resistors to direct stages to correct LED pin..
    Is LED common A or K ?

5. george0039

Oct 15, 2008
    Anyone have a circuit that would do what I need?

George

6. MrCarlos

Jan 2, 2010
    Hello george0039

How does your small device (LED) is connected?
    You say it has 3 colors and 3 terminals.

Can I see a picture of your 3 colors LED ?.
    Compared to something known as a match or a coin.

If the configuration of the PINs of Your three-color LED is as I suppose, you could use the attached circuit in the PDF document.
    Note that lacks the current limiting resistors for each of the three LED.
    As I do not know the electrical characteristics of your device I can’t calculate the value of these resistors.

I can not ensure that the IC 4017 can turn ON the LED's because I do not know the
    current that demand your device.
    As you can see, lack information to develop a circuit that really serve you.

absf and Bernard like this.
  7. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Circuit in post #6 is clever. I have not seen a LED like that, OP has not listed the colors but I have a R-G 5 mm LED that if R & G are on they give a poor amber. R-G LED 00000.jpg

8. Colin55

Aug 27, 2015
    Your requirement is VERY complex. You can buy a flashing RGB LED for 20 cents on eBay.

9. george0039

Oct 15, 2008
  10. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Do you have a sample LED in hand? eBay picture shows two leads. Is it something like Electronic Goldmine # G13897, Rainbow Flashing LED ? If so flashing is fixed, current 16mA to 20 mA @ about 3 V. No control of individual colors.

11. george0039

Oct 15, 2008
    Hi Bernard

No I don`t have one in hand and I don`t know about the Electronic Goldmine version BUT Yes it is two leads. The specs I posted is all I know about it. It says it is a fast flasher. So what circuit can control it? I do have it ordered and it`s on the way from China to Canada.

George

12. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    You can turn it on or off & control brightness with current limiting resistor of 150 ohms up to about 1K @ 6 V.