looking for Small 3 way LED flasher circuit design

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hello
I need the memberships help.
I would like to have a Small circuit, not a PIC, because I don`t know programming and this is a couple circuits only needed.
My voltage is 6v to 12v. The LED is a three color flasher, three leeds in the LED. I would like the circuit to be triggered by me so that it flashes ALL three led colors in a rate that each color can be seen and ONLY be stopped by powering the circuit off. I have experience with the old 555 I.C. I know, ancient, but I can solder directly to it`s pins with components and it is physically small.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
George

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
So a bit more information on it,

Does each led have its own flasher circuit, if so three 555 timers.? Or leds chasing in a row with a cd4017?

Do you want variable speed.?
Is it separate leds or one tri colour led.?
What power led are they.?

Last edited:

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hello Dodgydave

Thanks for your reply, sorry about the missing info.
No variable speed, would like the LED to flash between ALL three of it`s colors with enough time to see each color.
The LED is one Tri color LED with 3 pins coming from it.
Sorry I don`t know the exact power of the LED. Has not been bought yet, is there a range you can work from?

I hope you are able to come up with a working circuit for me with this info.

George

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Most likely a R-G LED, third color, Y, is combination of R & G.. If it were a flasher, probably would have 2 leads.
How about a 4022 or 4017 & a 555; can use diodes & resistors to direct stages to correct LED pin..
Is LED common A or K ?

MrCarlos

Joined Jan 2, 2010
Hello george0039

How does your small device (LED) is connected?
You say it has 3 colors and 3 terminals.

Can I see a picture of your 3 colors LED ?.
Compared to something known as a match or a coin.

If the configuration of the PINs of Your three-color LED is as I suppose, you could use the attached circuit in the PDF document.
Note that lacks the current limiting resistors for each of the three LED.
As I do not know the electrical characteristics of your device I can’t calculate the value of these resistors.

I can not ensure that the IC 4017 can turn ON the LED's because I do not know the
current that demand your device.
As you can see, lack information to develop a circuit that really serve you.

Attachments

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Circuit in post #6 is clever. I have not seen a LED like that, OP has not listed the colors but I have a R-G 5 mm LED that if R & G are on they give a poor amber.R-G LED 00000.jpg

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Do you have a sample LED in hand? eBay picture shows two leads. Is it something like Electronic Goldmine # G13897, Rainbow Flashing LED ? If so flashing is fixed, current 16mA to 20 mA @ about 3 V. No control of individual colors.

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Do you have a sample LED in hand? eBay picture shows two leads. Is it something like Electronic Goldmine # G13897, Rainbow Flashing LED ? If so flashing is fixed, current 16mA to 20 mA @ about 3 V. No control of individual colors.
Hi Bernard

No I don`t have one in hand and I don`t know about the Electronic Goldmine version BUT Yes it is two leads. The specs I posted is all I know about it. It says it is a fast flasher. So what circuit can control it? I do have it ordered and it`s on the way from China to Canada.

George