Looking for simplistic OEM timer module

kender

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Folks,

Could you recommend a small OEM timer module? The output of the module should be able to go on for 0.1s with a repetition period of 1.0s. The output could be a relay or TTL. I just need to ba able to sink (or source) 35mA (a transistor can be added if necessary). The module may be programmed with potentiometers, or via other methods. Mechanical dimensions - about the size of a deck of playing cards (or smaller). PCB without enclosure would work just fine.

;) Here are preemptive responses to some of the usual comments:
* I know that I can build such module myself (either with a PIC or with a couple of 555s). I’d be delighted to do that, but I have been asked to look for off-the-shelf ones. People in this forum have seen a lot in their travels.
* I know that google is my friend. In parallel to posting this request for advice, I’m googling like crazy, but haven’t yet found what I’m looking for. If you can think of good search phrases, please post them

Thanks,
- Nick

Update: Power supply - battery pack. Since the device will be turned on only a few times a day and for 2 minutes, the power consumption of the timer is not a big factor. Ideally, the device should be able to run from a power supply between 4.0 and 7.0 VDC.

Last edited:

kender

Joined Jan 17, 2007
What supply voltage will you be using for the timer...24VAC?...120VAC?...5VDC?...12VDC?
Ken,

Ideally, the device should be able to run from a power supply between 4.0 and 7.0 VDC. The gadget will be battery powered. The battery pack haven't been identified yet. Since the device will be turned on only a few times a day and for 2 minutes, the power consumption of the timer is not a big factor.

- Nick

knowitall

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Somthing as simple you could make the circuit with a sharpi felt pen and a piece of S.S. P.C. board, and a little etchant, It sounds like who ever asked you for this device doesen't want a kluge mess, a P.C. fabrication would solve this problem.
You only need one 555, and a few componants, is it activated by a switch, or when power is applied?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
This is about as close to an off the shelf solution as I can find with you size and power requirements. I'm guessing, as I don't have a schematic and am judging from the components I can see in the picture...and a little experience. I would buy the kit, change two capacitors to scale the timing down by a factor of 10, replace the relay (coil) with a resistor (not necessary if open collector is OK), take the output from the drive transistor's collector, and power it with 4 AAA battery pack.

http://www.canakit.com/1-minute-adjustable-on-off-cyclic-timer-kit-ck191m1-uk191m1.html

Ken