Looking for s/w that can draw this..

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by circuitwazzup, Nov 8, 2009.

1. circuitwazzup

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Okay,

I have a bunch of connectors (phoenix) that connect to an instrument. I basically have around 300 connections and I'm looking for an easy way to document this. Perhaps just a text document with pinout specified? Or, maybe software?

I'd like to be able to construct something like htis http://www.researchsupporttechnologies.com/keturi_data/electronic circuit all.gif

Only FREE s/w is of interest ;) I have Visio professional but it seems to be completely useless and more restrictive than anything else. Orcad and simulation/layout s/w also seems to be more trouble than it's worth. I'm currently using MS Paint. Almost perfect but maybe I'd like something slightly more sophisticated ;)

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Gee, free and perfect? Good luck with that. ;)

Cadsoft Eagle has a freeware version available of their commercial software.

If you are actually going to make something commercially with it, you need to register it.

It's a bit quirky to learn, but very powerful once you get the hang of it.

If you're just using MS Paint or a text document, you have no error checking capabilities. Cadsoft Eagle won't allow duplicate reference designators; and if you use the Erc feature, it will tell you if you have problems with connections.

3. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I think the freeware version is limited to one page of schematic and a PCB the size of a postage card. It may be a crowded schematic with all of the graphics that are involved.

The unleashed version is $50 USD.

hgmjr

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    There are a few Open Source and shareware CAD programs for electronics.

Off the top of my head are KiCad and Eagle (a commercial product with a shareware version)

5. circuitwazzup

Nov 8, 2009
  6. circuitwazzup

Nov 8, 2009
    Well the freeware version seems to work. I'll try it out thanks guys!

7. circuitwazzup

Nov 8, 2009
    In Eagle CAD, If I place a part from the library.. say a phoenix connector.. then left click and select the move icon.. it ONLY moves the specific pins on the connector.. never the entire connector as a whole.

How do I select the connector or a group of objects and move them? Like in MS paint.. there's a feature that looks like a dotted box.. you can enclose whatever you want and just MOVE IT.

BLAH.. this is annoying

8. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Before you give up on the software entirely, I would recommend you go to the tutorial section at www.sparkfun.com.

hgmjr

9. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    I would definitely give Eagle Lite a try.... it should be just what you need to re-draw that circuit.... plus it is only $50.00 for the full version...... you can spend a lot more on cad software that wont do half the stuff eagle can do with just the ULP's....

:)

My .02