Looking for reusable gloves for working with soldering chemicals (flux, solvents etc.)

Metatronic Mods

Joined Aug 17, 2016
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for work gloves for rework/assembly type work? I currently use disposable nitrile gloves, but I'm often back and forth between soldering operations using flux (the main reason I need gloves in the first place) and other assembly work that requires better dexterity than the gloves provide, or cause the nitrile gloves to tear. And since the nitriles are nigh impossible to get back on after removal, I find myself throwing a lot of gloves in the waste bin.

So any suggestion for reusable gloves that'll keep flux out and not hinder my ability for fine assembly work (too much)?

Last edited:

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Why use gloves, unless you're allergic to the chemicals in flux? If not, using bare hands is the way to go. Just remember to wash your hands after you leave your work-station.

And I don't have a problem with getting nitrile gloves back on after removal. Now getting them off can be a problem, but I seal the cuffs and blow into the gloves to inflate them enough to wiggle my fingers mostly out of the glove, then slide it off.

Metatronic Mods

Joined Aug 17, 2016
As far as washing the flux off, it seems like no matter how good I wash my hands after, I always have some sticky residue that stays for hours until it wears off from normal abrasion.

I wouldn't say I'm allergic to it, but I'll invariably forget about the flux residue and go to wipe sweat off my forhead/rub my eyes, and the miniscule amount of flux transferred is enough to make my face and eyes itch, and usually cause styes on my eyelids (I'm ridiculously prone to getting styes from any sort of pollutant.)

I guess I'm specifically looking for a reusable fabric glove (easy to slip on and off) with non-porous finger tips so that flux won't absorb in and seep through over time.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
What kind of flux are you using that it is able to seep into gloves? And why do you touch the flux with your fingers to begin with? Even when I use a very runny kind of liquid flux I very rarely get any on my hands since all components are manipulated using tweezers.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
As far as washing the flux off, it seems like no matter how good I wash my hands after, I always have some sticky residue that stays for hours until it wears off from normal abrasion.
Sounds like you need to invest in better hand cleaner.
As for flux I use self fluxing rosin core solder. Saves time and money.