Looking for LGA adapter for breadboard testing

Seric

Joined Oct 20, 2013
I am planning on using a LTM4605 for building a voltage regulator. It will be built as a PCB, but I would like to first be able to do some breadboard testing. The trouble I'm having is that the LTM4605 is in a LGA package. Is it possible to do breadboard testing with that? My searching has only come up with LGA to DIP adapters, I'm not sure if that's what I need. I'm also seeing that it varies from LGA-8 to LGA-28, but I can't find anything in the datasheet that shows which one the LTM4605 is, it just says LGA. Is the number supposed to be the number of leads?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
That's a 141 lead package so I doubt anything like an 8 or a 28 would do anything good for you. Even searching for BGA which would be similar I didn't see any matching adapters you could use.

You might be able to glue the package to your protoboard upside down then tacking jumpers onto the individual pads. Areas such as power and ground can be done with a solder flood & fill, or perhaps a piece of whatever metal to fill the large areas.

My worry with doing that is the place below Bank 6 where all the low power individual lines enter. Even with my microscope I'd hate to have to solder these.

You could roll your own custom adapter board for under 30 bucks and 3-4 weeks, a bit more if you want fast shipping.

Seric

Joined Oct 20, 2013
That's a 141 lead package so I doubt anything like an 8 or a 28 would do anything good for you. Even searching for BGA which would be similar I didn't see any matching adapters you could use.

You might be able to glue the package to your protoboard upside down then tacking jumpers onto the individual pads. Areas such as power and ground can be done with a solder flood & fill, or perhaps a piece of whatever metal to fill the large areas.

My worry with doing that is the place below Bank 6 where all the low power individual lines enter. Even with my microscope I'd hate to have to solder these.

You could roll your own custom adapter board for under 30 bucks and 3-4 weeks, a bit more if you want fast shipping.
I'm quite inexperienced with soldering so I'm trying to avoid having to do that. I would probably just make a big mess of things.

Where could I get a custom adapter?