Looking for introduction to PICs

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by Markw996, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Markw996

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Hi,

I have no experience with PICs at the moment but I'm keen to learn. I have limited experience with electronic circuits and VB programming so I should be able to understand how to use and program PICs with a bit of help. My ultimate goal is to build a menu driven controller with an LCD display where I program the menus to enable a user to turn the outputs on or off to light LEDs etc.

Can anyone point me to a good website with easy to understand step by step tutorials for novices?

I've googled for ages, but all I get is patchy poorly written tutorials which assume that you already understand the basics and how to program them already.

Thanks,
    Mark.

2. RiJoRI

Aug 15, 2007
  3. eng1ne

Dec 4, 2009
    Gooligum.au is an awesome site - excellent tutorials. If you take no other advice, definitely heed this and read through their papers.

In my experience however, there is nothing better than practical hands on. The Pickit 3 is around £45 I think, comes with a development board; I've found it very useful.

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    This seems

http://www.mikroe.com/en/books/pic-books/mikroc/

like an excellent tutorial to me. it is done in C which makes it easy to follow. I think there are similar courses in BASIC.

I picked up the book "The PIC Microcontroller Your Personal Introductory Course" by John Morton. at the local library. Don't waste your money if you are planning to buy this book. It is horribly written and far from introductory. . He goes from number systems to programming all in the same chapter. And he does it in assembler which is hard for any newbie to follow. I don't know how on earth it could be "Personal". He sure as heck did not write it for me.

Hopefully John is not a forum member but then again he should know the truth about his book. :)

6. bibmuism

Dec 24, 2009
  7. Nanophotonics

Apr 2, 2009