Looking for help wiring a Dayton Fan Duty Motor #3M298

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by filchuck, Jul 15, 2015.

1. filchuck

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Hello everyone

I'm new to this forum, and pretty green when it comes to electrical. I've looked through a lot of the posted threads, but was unable to find any wiring diagrams for this model motor. I tried to "google" info about this motor, but it appears that it's a discontinued model.
    I don't have any wiring connections, but the following is the name plate information on the motor:

Dayton Fan Duty Motor
    Model 3M298
    Volt - 115
    HP - 1/3 B
    RPM - 1075/var
    PH - 1 HZ -60
    Mfg. Model - K55XZGHY3968 Mfg. No. - F74 8

Capacitor: Mallory
    7 MFD - 370 VAC

The motor has 5 wires ( black, white, orange, yellow, blue + ground coming out of connection box. I was able to get it to run at three different speeds using the white wire as common and then connecting the hot individually to each: black runs at the slow speed; yellow at medium speed, blue at high speed. It it seems run ok the low speed but gets nosier and runs rougher as I switched to the higher speeds, as if its not getting to full speed.
    I don't know where the orange is connected. I'm wondering can anyone lead me straight on this motor and tell what I have and how to wire it.
    I've attached a few pics of the motor and internal wiring. With the lower rpm , I'm hoping to use it for polishing and buffing.

DSC00354.JPG DSC00360.JPG DSC00362.JPG DSC00363.JPG DSC00353.JPG
  2. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Since Dayton is a Grainger Industrial Supply house brand, you might call them for help. I've always found them good to work with on questions.

3. filchuck

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Thanks Ken, I'll give them a try.