Looking for help to lock TRASH CHUTES

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by HHO-BLASTER, Nov 30, 2009.

1. HHO-BLASTER

Thread Starter Member

Apr 17, 2009
    I have been asked to come up with a interlock circuit for a high rise building, my problem is finding the right electric door holder and a plunger SW. that is fire and UL rated. I was hoping someone here knows the parts i need i can't be the only person to do this to a trash chute door

thanks for looking Gary

2. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Since this is a commercial or residential building, why screw around with this? Your liability isn't worth the risk. Lock companies that deal with commercial clients carry 24V & 120V electromagnetic door holders. They also carry & install electromagnetic door locks that open with badge readers and or key switches. You can see these devices at you local hospital.

3. HHO-BLASTER

Thread Starter Member

Apr 17, 2009
    The company that asked me is one making the stainless steel doors they sell a lot of them but don't have a clue about who makes electric locks for them i know it sounds weird, that's what i thought also, but then i started looking around and couldn't find anything

Maybe I'm just dumb, and can't find anything or maybe there isn't anything to find

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    For starters, I would check your phone book for locksmiths that do commercial buildings.

5. HHO-BLASTER

Thread Starter Member

Apr 17, 2009
    The chutes i'm dealing with have a lock and key, what they want is a electric lock so if there's a fire they can lock ALL THE CHUTES TO SLOW THE FIRE DOWN also they want to lock them in a way so only one person is using them at a time i guess five pound of junk coming down from the 50th floor could hurt the person on the second floor if your in the wrong place at the wrong time LOL

6. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    Since you are actually doing the DESIGN work, even if its just an investigation, get paid for your service. Draw up a contract and keep track of your time and materials.
    Charging $150.00 / day + expenses is not an excessive amount.

Regards, DPW

7. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    check here >> http://www.mcmaster.com/#electromagnetic-door-locks/=4qqotj

If you are going to try and control access to each chute to prevent one from being opened when another is already opened, I would implement a manually operated switch at each location, when the user presses the switch, it would unlock that access panel and possibly opening contacts on a relay to cut power to all the other chutes until that chute is closed, this way, all chutes will always be locked and the electronic "locking" device needs to only be activated when a chute needs to open, this way also you can have one master override at a location where all chutes can be kept locked in case of fire or something, in this case all chutes will be automatically locked by default, the only downside is if power is lost, you can't throw away your trash.

My .02

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  8. HHO-BLASTER

Thread Starter Member

Apr 17, 2009
    If i use a magnetic lock the door will be open but what good would that do the compacter machine would be off, so all the crap would fill up the ducts

9. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    I don't understand what you are saying here.

You stated it would these "locks" would be used to keep trash chutes closed when necessary.

And you also were looking for a way to keep them locked in a way to where only one chute can be opened at a time.......

So I made a suggestion of Always keeping them locked using an electric door strike of some sort, and have the user activate a button to open the chute which would also activate another device to cut off power to all other chutes to keep them locked, so only one chute is open at a time.

and if power DOES go off, no one can throw their trash away, and the trash WOULD not build up in the chutes when the compactor is off if there is no power.

So in essence I described a redundant system that not only works to keep users safe, but to also stop the issue of trash build up when power is off and the compactor is not working.

I did not specifically say anything about a magnetic lock, you were asking for links to some places to find such things and I pointed out a source for these kinds of devices......

I suggested using a locking device that only unlocks when power is applied.... (like a solenoid activated latching mechanism, so the chute WILL always be locked by default until user presses button to activate solenoid to unlock the chute) this way, in case of emergency, all you would have to do is cut off the main supply to the locks and all chutes will remain locked.

I design safety systems used by hundreds of people everyday that deal with "electronic locking" mechanisms to keep unwanted people out of specific areas of automated machinery and such.....

either way good luck in your endeavors.....

10. HHO-BLASTER

Thread Starter Member

Apr 17, 2009
    I'm trying to find the guy now who asked me to do it

I'm looking to save some money do you have a good source for 24 volt, push solenoid, continues duty, UL in the surplus market