Looking For Help Increasing Strength on RF Controller

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by AllStarMonster, Jul 8, 2016.

1. AllStarMonster

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Looking to increase the signal of my RF Remote Control. The controller functions a strip of LED lights

Unfortunately there is no external attena on the controller itself. I can get about 50-75 feet out of it currently, I would like to get 200+ feet if possible. There wouldn't be any sort of major barriers between the controller and the receiver (no walls etc).

Any suggestions on what I could do to make this happen?

2. AllStarMonster

Jul 8, 2016
    Bump

3. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    It is unlikely you can do anything to the transmitter or receiver to achieve this.
    You could possibly make a 'range extender'. This would have a 433MHz receiver, a uC to decode and delay the signal, and a 433MHz transmitter to retransmit the signal. You would need the delay to stop the extender interfering with itself and you would need to reverse engineer the coding of the control signal. That is probably not an easy job.

4. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Is that an LED at the too of the picture? You can cinfirm by placing your finger over it and if that stops the temote control from working then it is an LED and you can make a high powered IR booster.

5. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    It does look like it but then it also says 'RF Wireless' at the bottom?

6. Willen

Nov 13, 2015
    Hi Dick,
    If it was an IR controlled then what about 'High powered IR booster'? Are there any high power IR LED to transmit longer than normal or what?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Then again, the LED on the transmitter may simply provide a visual indication that it is transmitting.
    upload_2016-7-30_8-14-28.png

Note, the receiver is clearly labeled with its frequency.

John

8. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Well, if you don't think it is worth investigating....

Yes there are some very high power and very directional IR LEDs that can be used.

9. AllStarMonster

Jul 8, 2016
    Thank you all for the replies, yes it is an RF wireless controller. There is an indicator light on the receiver that show it is working. I have no issues within 50 feet or so, it's just when I try to go an extended distance that I begin to have issues.

I'm using this controller to run an LED light strip that controls a starting light system for a racing series. Obviously I can't be on the race track with the vehicles within 50 feet of the starting light, hence why I need the increased distance. I can place myself with a direct, unobstructed sight line from the controller to the receiver, I just usually have to be greater than 50 feet away.

I'm very green in this area so forgive my ignorance. I come from a much more mechanical background than an electronic background. Would a high powered IR LED be something I could incorporate into this RF controller, either on the controller or on the receiver to increase distance?