Looking for good ipod speakers :p

peasouper

Joined Apr 26, 2012
Can anybody recommend a quality but inexpensive iPod speaker (or set of small speakers) with REALLY GOOD BASS? I recently got the Naztech Mini Boom Speaker and while the sound is crisp, it's almost TOO crisp, being tinny and strident, and the bass is nonexistent. Since then I've looked online for other speakers but all the customer reviews just make me more confused. :confused:

I am hoping that someone who really knows their stuff can help me out. Thanks! :)

Last edited:

peasouper

Joined Apr 26, 2012
Wow...woofers? Tweeters? It's all Greek to me. :p Thank you for replying, though. It looks pretty big. I was looking for something more portable. I don't even know if there's such a thing as a small, portable speaker that has good bass....more suggestions are still welcome!!!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The lower the frequency, the longer the wavelength of the sound in air. And the longer the wavelength, the larger the speaker has to be and the further the speaker cone has to move to produce a desired sound level.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
In the 70's, RadioShack imported from Korea their Minimus 7 speakers. They had a 4" woofer and a 1" dome tweeter in cast aluminum sealed enclosures. They sounded smooth and good. Mine (I bought a pair on sale at half price) played sounds flat down to 100Hz then rolled off below but 60Hz was still audible.

Each speaker was rated for a max power of 40 Whats. The woofer was stamped 5W Korea. I played mine at the beach with my homemade amplifier and loudly at home on my 79W per channel stereo. They were also in my car for a while. The woofers had surrounds made with real rubber, not cheap foam. They lasted for many years until the woofers got cooked too many times.

So you can get pretty good sound from a 4" woofer.

My computer speakers have 3" full range speakers with big magnets. They are flat down to about 120Hz then quickly drop off below. 85Hz is faint but is still heard. No deep bass.