Looking for DC Water Pump Component

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by kevins963, Jan 24, 2011.

1. kevins963

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I am looking for a low flow rate water pump for a water circulation device, similar to a pump that you would find in an aquarium pump. The flow rate that I am looking for is between 1-5 GPM. The only OEM pumps that I am finding now are between $100 - $400, however, a simple aquarium pump can be bought for less than $50.

If you have any suggestions of water pumps that could work I would appreciate it.

Also are there any distributors that focus on electro/mechanical components such as how DigiKey and Mouser focus on more semiconductor related products.

Thank you much.
  2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Will it be pumping freshwater or saltwater or sewage?

Bilge pumps are around, but they aren't low volume.

Inline pumps need clean water at the input, generally.

Need more information on application, gallons/hour, information on fluid being moved, pressure required, suction needed, and electric power requirements.
  3. kevins963

Jan 24, 2011
    It is a water recirculation device

- Fluid is fresh water
    - Rate is 1-5 Gallons per Minute or 60 - 300 Gallons per Hour
    - Application is to keep the water at a constant temperature by recirculating water over a heat exchange coil

I am used to designing devices mostly with IC components in them and usually use DigiKey and Mouser in addition to some specific manufacturers for my IC components. I usually do not get involved with larger non-IC components such as the pumps that I am looking for.

It seems like all the pumps I find are for commercials or residential use for a specific end of line application such as for a hottube, pool, water main pipe, etc... I am trying to find a manufacturer or distributor that distributes the OEM pump that can be used for mass quantity buys 1000+.

For example a Fishtank pump products will go and find the a specific pump for their need and develop their product using the OEM pump and then turn around an sell the pump for $45-100. I am trying to find the non-specific OEM pumps that I can get a hold of as opposed to the already developed end-of-line pump product.

Hope this helps.

Thank you
  4. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    We'd all love to find consumer products at wholesale prices.

Your best chance to get close to that goal will be Ebay and similar
  5. kevins963

Jan 24, 2011
    I am not trying to locate a consumer product though, I am trying to buy an OEM component. If you look at CPU cooling pumps, fish tank pumps, etc those usually sell for $20 - 100 because they get there product from the manufacturer. For example if you by a refrigerator, they have a pump in there that is not the typical consumer product that you can by at a retail store such as a sump pump or other types of retail pumps. I am asking if anyone is familiar with distributors that offer low flow rate pumps that you can buy to integrate into a device as opposed a hobby project were you would just go to a radioshack and buy your part retail.

Also Ebay and other retail solutions don't provide a reliable distribution that can supply the quantity over the lifetime of the product and will not meet demands of initial ordering quantities.
  6. stroker

Jan 25, 2011
  7. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    There are a good number of pumps if you look in the PC Overclocking area, this is a retail outlet, Still $35

Search for "inline 12V pump" and it comes back with a lot of results, some from OEM type manufacturers where you need to contact them for a quote.
  8. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    windshield washer pumps. Millions of them out there.
  9. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    No!...no!...no! Been there...done that! The bearings in those are nylon. They're only meant to run for a second or two at a shot. I tried three different brands. If you try to run them continuously, even for short periods, the bearings melt. :(

10. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    In lab applications (circulating water baths), these are referred to as immersion pumps. Maybe add that to your Googling terms. The good ones run for years at elevated temperature. I believe they are usually centrifugal pumps at the end of a shaft, with the motor itself NOT under the water.
  11. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009