Looking for a TV Tuner Adapter Card

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by DerStrom8, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerStrom8

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Hey guys. I'm going out on a limb here, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I'm looking for a digital TV/Cable PCI tuner card for my desktop. Ideally it would be something like this.

I'm about ready to just order it off ebay, but I figured if someone here had one they wanted to sell, I'd rather buy from friends :D

Hoping for between $10-$25. Let me know if you've got an old one hanging around that you wouldn't miss ;)

Thanks guys!
    Regards,
    Matt

2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Not sure which on I have but I have a Haudpauge with 2 tuners. You might want to consider that one instead. I set up a Windows Media Center PC for OTA about a year or so ago, dropped Direct TV and haven't looked back.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  3. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Hey spinnaker, thanks for the reply!

Do you have any of the specs? i.e. is it digital or analog? Maybe a part number?

Much appreciated!

Regards,
    Matt

4. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I have the HVR-2250. It is both analog and digital. I use it only for OTA but I understand it will do cable too. I think they have a 4 tuner model too but they are pretty expensive.

You can add multiple HVR-2250 cards. But it is rare occasion that I need more than 2 channels. On most of those times, I use the TV tuner to view the channel. I might add a second card when I get around to it.

I use Windows Media Center which is a great product but the bad news is that development has been discontinued even thought he product is still supported under Windows 8. But with no developers I have no idea what MS will do if there are issues.

5. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Thanks spinnaker. Just looked it up and it's significantly more than I can afford at the moment. I appreciate the suggestion though!

best wishes,
    Matt

6. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    You could always add the two tuner model when you can afford it. Then you would have 3 channels.

There are USB tuners too. Not sure of the model or if they are anymore affordable.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  7. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Yeah, I'm also keeping an eye on this one. So far no bids, and it's been a few days. I might bid on it tomorrow or Tuesday. If I win the bid, great. Unfortunately that thing only receives analog cable, making it a tough decision. But for the price, I really can't ask for much :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.