looking for a sunlight-readable graphic display

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by BasicPoke, Dec 1, 2015.

1. BasicPoke

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Hello, I am looking for a sunlight-readable graphic display, about 3" x 2", that will be used in a battery-powered device outdoors anywhere in North America. I really like the look of e-paper but am concerned about the low temperature performance since the lowest rated temp that I have seen is -25°C (-13°F). I am concerned about the power consumption of OLED. Any recommendations on a readily-available display? Also I would like to test the display without having to develop drive circuitry and code. What demo kits are available that will display a changing image?
    Thanks a lot for any ideas,
    Ron

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Do you need to display "graphics" or actual images?
    Cost?
    SPI/I2C/Serial/Parallel 8/24bit control?
    Required power consumption?
    ,etc...

3. BasicPoke

Apr 30, 2013
    In generally I want to display graphics, not pre-made images. All I mean is that I need dot-matrix, not a character display. If a demo kit only displayed images, that is fine.
    Cost is not critical.
    Interface--Not critical but SPI, I2C, or some other serial protocol sounds reasonable.
    Power consumption--I do not have a figure in mind, but this is a battery-powered device.
    We will probably need a backlight.
    I do not have any other constraints that I can think of, except -40 to 80°C operation would be nice.
    Ron

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  5. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    -40°C will be very hard even with industrial LCDs. When my company did HMI panels the only ones we could find would work down to -30 and we had to do a lot of talking to the manufacturers to find ones that can at least be stored at -40.

6. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    Is monochrome good enough?

If so, this is the lowest power, highest contrast display you will likely find:
    http://www.mouser.in/ProductDetail/Sharp-Microelectronics/LS027B7DH01/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt7dcPGmvnkBvr0kOzcjB9yDS5dEqFJgaU=

Not cheap at $33.87. :(

What you get for that money is a display that looks much like printing on paper and will run on a coin cell for months. It uses an SPI interface.

edit: Operating temperature -20 to 70 deg C.
    Operating temperature is temperature that guarantees operation only. For contrast, response speed, and other display quality, module is evaluated at Ta=+25 deg C.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  7. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    My experience, just with cameras, in cold weather, is that low temperatures also matter for batteries.

RichardO likes this.
  8. BasicPoke

Apr 30, 2013
    Thank you for the responses.