Looking for a Pump

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by fancycoconut, Nov 9, 2014.

1. fancycoconut

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 4, 2014
    This might be a little off-topic, but I could really use the help!
    I am looking for a pump that can handle up to 150psi, 94 C or 205 F, and can do 120 ml/min at full pressure. Also, this may not be important, I will need to be able to adjust the speed with a potentiometer.
    I have found a couple pumps that do this (mad drive gear pumps) but they are on websites without prices, which always means $$$$$!
    Thanks

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    peristaltic? Gear? Impeller? Diaphram? Piston?
    Medium being pumped?
    Max.

3. fancycoconut

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Gear probably. Pumping water.

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    It could be overkill but have you looked into the High Pressure washers available?
    They go way higher than your required pressure/flow rates, but may be possible to modify them and also most if they are fitted with a Universal motor, a Triac controller could be used. I imagine a gear pump is used.
    (Almost boiling point!)
    Try some of the surplus centers http://www.surpluscenter.com/Water-Pumps/
    Max.

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Sounds like an HPLC pump. You might look at lab surplus.

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    An amazing amount of lab equipment gets thrown out by corporate and university labs. They don't want to bother trying to sell it or even give it away, and it just gets tossed. If you could connect to folks in such labs, you can get ahold of all sorts of stuff.

8. Steve R in FL

Jan 9, 2015
    Does the application require a drip proof shaft seal?

9. Steve R in FL

Jan 9, 2015
    Look at some of the miniature rotary vane pumps. Most would be at the upper end of your stated flow range but with a variable speed drive you should be fine. Some have magnetically coupled shafts. Check with manufacturers to be sure it's rated for hot water service.

Also, please be aware that at such temperatures you have almost no suction head to spare. The pump suction absolutely must be above atmospheric pressure or your pump will immediately cavitate. If there is any possibility that you can pump from the cold side of whatever it is you are doing, do so. If you have a completely sealed, pressurized system (like an automotive cooling system with a pressure cap) you should be ok.

10. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    2 month old thread!
    Max.

11. Steve R in FL

Jan 9, 2015
    Oh. Guess I should pay more attention to such things!