Looking for a PS

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by lippy, Sep 18, 2012.

1. lippy

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I'm trying to track down a 120VDC power supply capable of supplying about 350mA for 2-8 minute intervals. I'm considering building a linear supply with an isolation transformer, rectifier and a pass regulator but I'm concerned about heat and inefficiency. I've poked around looking for an off-the-shelf switching supply but the cost may be a deterrent.

Anybody have any thoughts on building a supply capable of that type of power and/or know where I could pick up a reasonably priced supply out of the box?

Cheers!

2. timescope

Dec 14, 2011
    You could ask a TV repair technician for a CRT TV power supply. The supply to the line output transformer (100v -145v depending on the screen size ) should be adequate for your application.
    Timescope

3. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    What is your voltage compliance tolerance? And why 2-8 minute intervals?

4. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Look for used rack mount bench supplies from Power ten, Electronic Measurements Inc (EMI), Lambda, etc.

Or, check ebay but all their no-name electronics are made in China so you take your chances.

5. lippy

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    @ Sceadwian the tolerance isn't super-tight. I need an absolute minimum 115VDC, max could be up to 130V, and relatively stable (within a couple of volts with a constant load). The 2-8 minutes is due to me wanting this thing to drive a motor and it takes roughly 2-8 minutes, depending on the condition of the motor, for it to do it's thing.

6. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    Couple of volts, okay that's what was looking for! =) 2% tolerance on a 130V DC variable power supply capable of 500ma (saftey value)

All you need is a 50VA variac fed through a bridge rectifier and a capacitor to buffer it a little. You could probably piece something like that together for dirt cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENERAL-RAD...988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b384ce04

Would be one variac that would work, 10 bucks. Bridge rectifier for that would cost I dunno 5-6 bucks? Cap 2 bucks for a nice big one.

A bench supply is too precise (often .1% sometimes 1% for super cheapies) but you can look if you want, a quick and dirty variac/bridge/filter cap will more than meet your needs.