Looking For A Particular Style LED For RC Plane Night Flying...

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by NFA Fabrication, Dec 31, 2012.

1. NFA Fabrication

Thread Starter Member

Aug 12, 2012
    I am looking to light up an RC plane for night flying. I have installed many light on the plane (Just as you would see on a full size aircraft). I saw something on Youtube yesterday that is way better than what I have going now. He had lights on wires mounted on the wingtips that faced the plane, lighting up the actual plane, not just the plane having visible lights on it.

I need an LED a lot brighter than your typical 5mm high intensity job (Which I have hundreds of). I have this $$$ Streamlight flashlight that has a single super intense LED, this style would be perfect...

[​IMG]

What do I search for to find this style LED? Ebay purchase options are a plus! I am running 4 cell lithium batteries in the plane, so I always have between ~13.2-~16.8V to work with. Here is the video I found that started this, this guy is an amazing pilot (Considered to be among the best), worth the watch for that alone, but the lights make it amazing at night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbv7lZxo44g

[​IMG]

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
  3. NFA Fabrication

Thread Starter Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Thanks, I may pick up a few of the 2 styles that Digikey has in stock and see how they work out.

4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Order a diffuser with them, you can actually cause retinal damage with the bright ones. They are bright like torches and from a single point source.

5. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    That guy is great.:cool:

6. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    You are also going to need LED drivers for them. High power LEDs don't work well with just a resistor like you would normally use for 5mm LEDs.