Looking for a MOSFET to drive 12V 6A LED strip

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Robartes, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Robartes

Thread Starter Member

Oct 1, 2014

I recently bought a LED strip I'm planning to build my own driver circuits for. Given the current draw of the strip, I think I am going to need a MOSFET (actually three) to switch it, but as I'm fairly new to the world of electronics and MOSFETs, I'd like some advice on which to use.

The LED strip is a common cathode. It has one +12V pin and three pins, one for each color, which take a PWM signal to set the color of the LEDs. I think I would need a MOSFET to switch the LEDs. The specs of the LED strip say it can draw up to 6A. When I measured it at full brightness, white color (so every led burning) it actually drew only 1.5A but I think it's best to stay on the safe side and spec for 6A.

As a final point of information, the little controller unit that was shipped with the LED strip uses FDD8780 MOSFETs.

Can anybody suggest which MOSFET I should use for this? I can browse through Mouser or Digikey, but other than the 12V / 6A specs, I don't really know what to look for.

2. Jony130

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 17, 2009
    So you can use FDD8780 or any other mosfet for example IRL44z
  3. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    At least 1.5 times of 12V and 3 times of 6A, of course if you choosing more times of Vds and Id is better for the power dissipation of mosfet
  4. Robartes

Thread Starter Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Thanks for your answers. I had looked into using the FDD8780, but it's an SMD component and I'd like to prototype some things on a breadboard first. It looks like I'll be going with these:

Thanks again!
  5. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    Those should be fine. Overkill, but so what.