Looking for a glue for this material

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by atferrari, Apr 18, 2014.

1. atferrari

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    From time to time I find some pieces wandering loose inside the vessel's holds but much more frequently as packaging of electronic equipment. I tend to think it is coming from USA but I could be dead wrong.

It is very light, resilient and extremely easy to cut with an exacto knife.

I found it very useful to encase temporarily, displays and PCBs for their initial tests. I am sure that if a manage to glue it reliably, the final result would be good. Superglue and vinyl glue failed completely.

Does anyone recognize this material? If so, could you suggest what glue I could try?

2. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    By some of that adhesive that they use to put windshields in vehicle.

That stuff will stick anything to anything keep it there!

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Would you believe those are polystyrene blocks? "Styrofoam"
    Test with acetone. If it dissolves very quickly, it's polystyrene foam.
    Let's name it, then find the glue.

I'm thinking about the glue I use for insulation foam for pipes.
    I'll have to look it up.

http://www.michaels.com/3M-Spray-Adhesive-for-Styrofoam™/gc0263,default,pd.html

The best glues to use on Styrofoam are the actual Styrofoam glues such as UHU Styrofoam glue, Weldbond and 3M 77. Styrofoam glue comes in both tubes and spray. The adhesive spray, like 3M 77, makes creating projects easier and without the mess. With 3M 77, the glue dries fast and provides permanent bonding. As for Weldbond glue, you will have to wait until the glue becomes tacky before bringing the surfaces together to ensure that it does not dissolve the foam and emit toxic fumes.

There is also talk of using a hot glue gun, but that is very inconvenient to carry around a ship.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    A glue gun works really good, the down side is if you glue an edge etc it shows at the hot glue melts the foam, it is not seen in an inside join.
    They look harder than ordinary styrofoam.
    Look at some of the Foam model making sites, they use all different kinds of foam and usually specify an adhesive for the 3 or 4 different compositions in use.
    That almost looks like one of the rubberized foams that do not split as readily as styrofoam.
    I am just in the process of building a foam hot wire cutter.
    Max.

5. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    when my daughter graduated from high school, she wanted to go to colege. she wanted to be a chemical engineer, I gave her a task, to write a book identifying materieals and the adhiesives to use with them, I think that book would be a best seller, but she changed majors and graduated as a grade school teacher. unfortunatly no book.

6. atferrari

Jan 6, 2004
    The consistence and resilience of this material are different from what I know as styrofoam (Telgopor, locally).

The long piece shown in one of the pictures would not break if I flex it. A similar in styrofoam will.

7. atferrari

Jan 6, 2004
    Many years ago, in an article at (electronics focused) "Radioplans Loisirs", the author, explained how to assemble some piece of equipment he designed.

There I learnt that the variety of adhesives is huge and is better to be well informed to avoid a failure that could take time to show up and /or ruin the material in use.

At that time, in electronic French magazines everything seemed to be just Araldite. :p

8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    It is a material known as EPP (expanded poly propylene) or EPO (expanded poly olefin).

There is a new version of Henkel/Loctite "super glue". It is called Plastic Bonding System.

It is labelled, "fuses hard to bond plastics"
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_plstc/overview/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-System.htm

It uses a 2-part system - it will glue most any polypropylene or polyethylene, silicone and even Teflon.

It is already available in hardware stores in the US, I am not sure about global availability.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_plstc/overview/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-System.htm

9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    That's like I said, I have some forms that are of a rubbery nature, very much like a Styrofoam but with the ability to flex.
    No idea what the industry term is for it , never had to glue it yet though.
    Max.

10. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Looks like standard polyethylene foam to me (2.2lb maybe 1.7lb) very common packaging material.. Regular hot glue works just fine usually.. But there are "specialized" glues for it.

11. atferrari

Jan 6, 2004
    Thanks for all that info.

By comparing pictures found in the Webb it looks EPP. I have some EPO pieces and it is different.

Gracias. Now off for the adhesive...

12. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    You may want to check out rubberized foam EDPM for example, usually the same colour.
    Max.

13. atferrari

Jan 6, 2004

Hola Max,

What's is it used for?

14. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Many uses, evidently, if you Google EDPM Open Cell rubberized foam.
    Max.

15. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Lots of refridgerator door gaskets are Epdm. Used on things that move around a lot (not exactly vibration dampening but sealing surfaces / them when there is movement. It is very durable, elastic and immune to environment (sun / cold / chemicals).

16. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    What a coincidence, Augustin! I recently purchased some of this same foam for organizing my tools. I bought it on amazon, and at the time I bought it, I asked the same question on amazon and was told that 3M super77 or contact cement has worked for others. I browsed the adhesives aisle at my local hardware store and found lots of products advertised to work with "foam" but I suspect they meant ordinary styrofoam like the insulation panels. This stuff is different; I agree is has more plastic or rubber properties than styrofoam properties. You cannot see my question or its answers in the link because the seller has for some reason created a new product profike for the same product, so all reviews, ratings, and qa are gone. Not sure why; it had good ratings and reviews... maybe someone posted a link to a cheaper option.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007J...397925132&sr=8-2-spell&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

I purchased contact cement and a loctite product I believe (or maybe it was super 77?) I will post back with my results as soon as I get around to testing it (not this weekend). If you happen to find a good option first, please post it for my benefit. I am trying to glue this product to "paintable", primed/painted tempered hardboard (masonite).

17. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Probably nothing suspicious, I recently learned that if more than one seller on Amazon is selling the same item then they can both edit the description and pictures. This leads to all kinds of problems, especially if another seller decides to change the colour, or removes some important information.

18. atferrari

Jan 6, 2004
    Good to hear that strantor.

I recall finding along the time, many pieces inside the holds which is not precisely the place where packages are open (just broken if handled wrong :p).

Pity that I just let them go except the one shown.

If I find some suitable adhesive, I will post here. There is one called "Poxiran" which is applied on both surfaces and let dry until becoming sticky (around 10-15 minutes). Is contact cement apt for flexible things.

Have to check if I have it at home.

EPP, I realized that, easy as it is to cut it demands lot of care. Free hand cutting is not for that.

19. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    How about Gorilla Glue?

So far, it has worked for everything.

A thin layer, doesn't swell as much.

MaxHeadRoom likes this.
  20. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Liquid Nails...

When applied properly, and allowed to cure, it is better than the swill barnacles attach themselves to a ship with...

On the other hand... find a source of 3M products... They make some bulletproof adhesives...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014