Looking for a connector that sandwitches to a control board

albogator

Joined Aug 21, 2016
Does anyone know what these are called? I searched the forum and only 43 pages of connector help came up. A lot have links to pics that don't work anymore. I don't necessarily need an exact one but just a way to temporarily connect it. It sits deep so alligator clips won't get in there.

Thanks in advance and ideas are appreciated.

Attachments

albogator

Joined Aug 21, 2016
Thanks. I went and grabbed some to check them but it wouldn't work. the pin spacing looks close enough but I need something that I can "clip" onto two of the connector/metal that's adhered to the control board. I thought about cutting the connector in half but I don't think it would hold well enough to make a good connection and I really wouldn't want my hands too close to it while it was running. I'm just using it to send communications to a motor board that turns a drum and the drum can tend to get wobbly.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What you are looking for is called a card edge connector (female) with at least one open side (one side of your PCB extends quite far from the contacts) . Connectors with closed sides seem more common at my usual suppliers. As a last resort you could open one side with a cutter. It might be possible and a better solution to simply shave down that edge of the board. TE shows this as an example:
upload_2016-10-23_6-4-17.png
(from Mouser @ http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-3-641283-3.html )

Your spacing (center to center) looks to be a little less than 1/8", so my first guess would be it is 0.100". As for how the wires are connected, that is called "IDC" for insulation displacement connector/contact. You don't need to strip the wires, just press then into metal crevices. If you can find the exact replacement (JST brand may be the best fit) then you are set. Otherwise, I would focus on fitting the board and use whatever connection I need for the wires, which will like require crimped pins.

John

albogator

Joined Aug 21, 2016
Thank you.

Those look much sturdier than the existing plug but would work better for my application if they fit. I ordered some off of ebay that I found with the open sides, they are 4 blade but in the us and about $1 each shipped so we'll see. Again, appreciate the input, really do.

albogator

Joined Aug 21, 2016
That's going to be hard to find as spacing appears non uniform, .125, .15625, .125, .15625, .125 ?
Seems to be the hardest problem. It probably is non uniform but just need something close enough, it's communication that passes through it so there's no significant amperage at least.

albogator

Joined Aug 21, 2016
They've arrived. I think it's close enough for a 3 terminal connection but will have to cut one of the terminals off. They're good quality connectors. Appreciate the help and will update with what I find.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If three contacts line up, why do you need to cut the fourth off? After I posted #6, I got to thinking that a 4-position connector might fit over the wider edge and not need to be modified at all. If you are worried about installation with the connector reversed, you could just pull the contact out, but an unused contact against a bare blard is not a problem.

John