Look at some schematics

Hornnumb2

Joined Jan 17, 2013
Not sure if processor is the right word, the cutter powers up and will do a test cut from the control panel but I am just not getting any communication to it from the laptop. Thanks Michael

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I see now the USB is connected to U5 and the RS232 to U4.
Does the laptop program control the machine or will it run stand-alone?
The RS232 may be just for program down load or can you control the machine with it?
Just a guess as not familiar with that machine, it looks like old technology?
Max.

Hornnumb2

Joined Jan 17, 2013
It has 3 different inputs, rs 232, usb and old style printer port. The only thing you can do from the machine is some built in test cuts and they work but I just can't get the pc to connect. I get a unrecognized device device message through usb, I can pick up a db25 to usb cord tomorrow to try the other port but didn't want to waist the money if they run through the same communication chip. This is a vinyl cutting machine like used for making signs and decals.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What I was getting at are the serial ports just for downloading programs?
The RS232 is a different IC, so if the port is dead, the RS232 may work.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
From the apparent pin out you will need a Null-Modem cable not pin for pin, you also may have a problem now getting a DB25 to db9 cable, Some while ago I picked up a test cable that had db9 and db25 on both ends in a Null modem fashion, comes in very handy.
Max.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
It has 3 different inputs, rs 232, usb and old style printer port. The only thing you can do from the machine is some built in test cuts and they work but I just can't get the pc to connect. I get a unrecognized device device message through usb, I can pick up a db25 to usb cord tomorrow to try the other port but didn't want to waist the money if they run through the same communication chip. This is a vinyl cutting machine like used for making signs and decals.
Are you sure you have the proper driver installed? Has something changed since the last time the cutter worked?

Hornnumb2

Joined Jan 17, 2013
I bought the cutter from a sign shop and it had no communication at the time, I sent the motherboard off to a board level repair place but with out the schematics(just found those last night)they just looked the board over and reflowed the joints on the usb and fixed a broken trace on it. I was hoping that fixed it, before when usb got plugged in you got nothing. Now it sees the port but cant recognize what the device is.

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
I bought the cutter from a sign shop and it had no communication at the time, I sent the motherboard off to a board level repair place but with out the schematics(just found those last night)they just looked the board over and reflowed the joints on the usb and fixed a broken trace on it. I was hoping that fixed it, before when usb got plugged in you got nothing. Now it sees the port but cant recognize what the device is.
Go here for a user manual and drivers.