long weekend is coming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by happyganl, Apr 2, 2010.

1. happyganl

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 17, 2009
    5th April is Qingming Festival.

Qing Ming, which means clear and bright in Chinese, falls on April 5th this year. It is both the fifth term in the traditional lunar calendar and a festival to hold memorial ceremony for the dead. It is a time to express one's grief for his lost relatives. An ancient elegiac poem, which described a grievous woman, was read that vines tangled in vain and weeds crept in the graveyard, and her husband slept there lonely. It was so difficult to endure for her as if summer in the day and winter at night. And her only wish was to reunite with him after death. (Written by our column writer Hao Zhuo)

2. eblc1388

Nov 28, 2008
    There are subtle differences between people of different countries in the ways they remember the dead and departed.

For the Chinese people, there are two special day in each year(QingMing & Chongyang) where the family would visit the graves and pay their respect. They regard these dates as "Festival" too. The cemetery is kind of deserted in the rest of the year and most people do not visit them. However, as far as I know, people in the Western countries would visit their departed more often as and when they feel the need to. They do not have fixed dates.

The following is the remaining of the story of QingMing by the same author Hao Zhuo as quoted by Happyganl above.

3. happyganl

Dec 17, 2009
    haha.I only choose first part of this article.

4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Is it not standard to have grave keepers or tenders to keep graveyards "manicured" throughout the year in China? Years ago, my brother took a job to mow grass and trim shrubs around Loudon Park.. Which (at least then) is the east coast of Americas largest graveyard. They had a huge crew that kept the grounds throughout the year.

I have found it customary (in america) to visit the dead on there birthdays and other anniversaries that were important to the dead. (While they were living)

from loudon-park.com:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  5. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    In England we are also having a long weekend to celebrate Easter (Friday to Monday). It is an ancient festival to celebrate the fact that massive eggs can be made out of chocolate. I'm not sure what the eggs were made of before chocolate was brought to England.

6. happyganl

Dec 17, 2009
    come out,hehe

7. happyganl

Dec 17, 2009
    Bill,you are right;)fun

8. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    We get an extra day holiday this year because of a royal wedding, just after easter.

9. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Are you sitting with a jug of wine while you are doing all these post.
    Wine makes you post a lot.wine makes you Happy Is that how you
    choose your name over jug of wine.

10. bribri

Feb 20, 2011
    i'm glad to read your message.
    my grandmother actually died last night.
    as strange chance makes it, it seems that i will be observing your festival.
    for all the time i knew her, she expressed a deep appreciation of nature, and how its workings transcend all human endeavors. if you could see it possible to send the poem to me, i would very much appreciate, the story touches my heart.

11. happyganl

Dec 17, 2009
    I didnt find a proper poem,below one may some similar:

When will the moon be clear and bright?
    With a cup of wine in my hand, I ask the blue sky.
    I don't know what season it would be in the heavens on this night.
    I'd like to ride the wind to fly home.
    Yet I fear the crystal and jade mansions are much too high and cold for me.
    Dancing with my moon-lit shadow
    It does not seem like the human world
    The moon rounds the red mansion Stoops to silk-pad doors
    Shines upon the sleepless Bearing no grudge
    Why does the moon tend to be full when people are apart?
    People may have sorrow or joy, be near or far apart
    The moon may be dim or bright, wax or wane
    This has been going on since the beginning of time
    May we all be blessed with longevity Though far apart, we are still able to share the beauty of the moon together.

12. bribri

Feb 20, 2011
    thank you for this.
    please tell me the title and author. i would like to read this at her funeral.
    i love it and i think that my family would appreciate the sentiment.
    thnkx,
    brbr

13. bribri

Feb 20, 2011
    p.s.
    please p.m. me the chinese text! i will ask a friend to translate for me... sitting next to me.

14. happyganl

Dec 17, 2009
    original text I have sent.Title is 《水调歌头,明月几时有》author:苏轼。

the author write it to express the missing to his brother ,but most of content, beyond and more than missing family.

I am not sure if its appropriate to read funeral.your friend may give you advice:)

15. bribri

Feb 20, 2011
    thanks so much for the poetry and message. i find the sentiment beautiful.

16. happyganl

Dec 17, 2009
    no problem;)

Anyone else want to use chinese things,contact me:D

17. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    "Google translate" gives this result.

"Thinking of You, comparative study of" author: Su Shi.

hgmjr

18. bribri

Feb 20, 2011

mmmm, well. i did a study of translating "the night before christmas" across several languages with babelfish.
    santa became obama and the reindeer became a special committee meeting. i kid you not!