Long period AC dimmer circuit

boltcutter

Joined Dec 5, 2007
I'm trying to build a "dawn simulator" for a bank (about 200W at 120V) of incandescent lights.

The circuit should have the following control inputs:

Input 1 - Momentary trigger from a timer. Begin bringing lights up to 100% power over a period of about 30 minutes.

Input 2 - Momentary trigger from a manual pushbutton. Immediately raise power to 100%. ie, a soft power switch.

Input 3 - Momentary trigger from a manual pushbutton. Immediately drop power to 0%.

I know how to use a timer, but I don't know how to (safely, efficiently) build a dimmer. Has anyone seen a circuit that might steer me in the right direction, or even a product I could modify?

lightingman

Joined Apr 19, 2007
Hi,I did post a voltage controled dimmer on here a while back (search for "2 x SCR Dimmer")....Although this used 2 thyristors, triggered by a transformer, there should be no problem converting it to use a triac triggered by an opto-isolator.The ramp timing capacitor may have to be changed for use in the USA (60Hz)....A 0 to +10 volt input, gives a 0 to 100% output.Daniel.

boltcutter

Joined Dec 5, 2007
That's a pretty impressive circuit, lightingman. I'm not competent to review it, so I'll just base my trust on noting nobody's called you on any issues to date!